2002 Silverado 5.3L, LT, 2wd Differential cover leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 2002 Silverado with 381k miles.

Discovered a differential oil leak at bottom of cover.
Previously replaced the gasket less than a year ago.

Drained the fluid and removed the cover to inspect.
I had an extra Genuine GM gasket handy so I cleaned both mating surfaces really good and replaced the gasket using NO RTV.
Filled the differential with oil and parked the truck on the street.

This morning I walked over to the truck and observed a small drop of fluid right at the bottom of the differential.
Now I'm thinking that the differential is warped and needs to be replaced.

I was reading on some of the GM forums that many have turned to gaskets made by LUBE LOCKER https://www.lubelocker.com/product/llr-g850/
but when I went to the website to look at the gasket I noticed that its pretty symmetrical in that it's round in shape but without any type of curves and contours.
The Genuine gasket by GM is circular in shape but has contours that follow and sort of match the mating surface.

I have been told to ONLY use gaskets that have the updated contours that allow fluid from the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock openings to pass thru to the axle.
The wrong gasket will cover these holes that are located at 3 and 9 o'clock and will eventually cause the axle bearings to fail.

Just wondering if anyone here has ever used these gaskets by Lubelocker?
Should I just stick with a Genuine gasket and use RTV?
Should I replace the cover and gasket?

Going to need the correct torque pattern and torque values

Any advice is greatly appreciated

I can't see the diff being warped, but is the cover pinholed, cracked, or damaged?
Any reason this would not be a candidate for a bead of RTV?
I have a LubeLocker on my SuperDuty. It is a well made gasket, does it's job.
I can't say if it would be good on your Chevy, but assume it would be, because it would be all over the interwebs if it wasn't.

Those holes should be there, I would not use any gasket without them. There should be an indentation in the cover to catch the throw off from the gears and direct it to the axle tubes.

There is a little bit controversy over the effectiveness of this method. Some after market covers do not have the capture mechanism. Some differentials do not have it. I do not personally know of a bearing failure from not having the cutouts. I suppose it would be most effective if the oil level was low.

All I can say is OE designers felt it was needed. It does not cost extra. So why change.

If you use silicone then you need to be sure to circle the feed holes so the oil from the cover makes it into the axle tubes

Rod

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
You jack up the rear from just under the cover? You use wood, or just the metal cup of the floor jack?

Good question, I haven't lifted the truck from the differential in years and I don't remember what I used in between the jack and the differential.

Wont be doing that again

Do you live in the salt belt ? I have watched a few youtube videos of people replacing diff covers that had rusted enough to leak . Might buy & install a cover with a drain plug .

Originally Posted by Gito
You jack up the rear from just under the cover? You use wood, or just the metal cup of the floor jack?

Good question, I haven't lifted the truck from the differential in years and I don't remember what I used in between the jack and the differential.

Wont be doing that again

I do it all the time on My 06 Escalade which is similar to yours. just need to be a little behind the cover. May be a good excuse to change to a cover with a drain/fill if yours does not have one. GM actually makes one

Wont be doing that again

I do it all the time on My 06 Escalade which is similar to yours. just need to be a little behind the cover. May be a good excuse to change to a cover with a drain/fill if yours does not have one. GM actually makes one

Do you happen to have the GM part# to the cover with drain. Just want to be ready if I decide to go that route

I have done this job on my 1996 Silverado and 2006 Sierra. I just use a thin bead of this with no gasket and have never had an issue:

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-gear-oil-rtv-gasket-maker/

I have to ask just in case... is your pinion seal leaking? The fluid can flow down the pinion snub to the housing and drip at the low point and thus look like a cover leak. You will, however, see obvious staining from the pinion seal down to the housing so likely you would have noted that already but I am just double checking.

Originally Posted by marc1
I have done this job on my 1996 Silverado and 2006 Sierra. I just use a thin bead of this with no gasket and have never had an issue:

https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-gear-oil-rtv-gasket-maker/

I have to ask just in case... is your pinion seal leaking? The fluid can flow down the pinion snub to the housing and drip at the low point and thus look like a cover leak. You will, however, see obvious staining from the pinion seal down to the housing so likely you would have noted that already but I am just double checking.

oh man. I hope its not that

Originally Posted by marc1

oh man. I hope its not that

That would explain the differential fluid (gear oil) hitting the exhaust and splashing all over the gas tank.

I better park the truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back