2002 Silverado 5.3 L fuel tank lock ring tool

2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3L

Having a hard time installing the fuel tank pump locking ring to the tank.

Is there a recommended tool that can be used so that I don't cause a spark?
I used a screwdriver and hammer but decided to stop for fear of causing a bang.
I do have a brass punch and might end up trying that out.

I did not drop the tank to replace the fuel pump. I ended up lifting one side of the bed to access the fuel pump. Not that easy to bang around with a hammer and screwdriver in such a tight space. Tried to hit all sides of the ring to tighten it up but couldn't get it to lock.

Any input is greatly appreciated

Can you get a small block of wood in there? Maybe a small section of 2x4.

Can you get a small block of wood in there? Maybe a small section of 2x4.
I used several 2x4's to lift the bed enough so that I was able to slide the pump out of the tank without a problem.
Still not the same as when you have the tank on the floor. I don't feel all that comfortable when I'm under the truck bed.
The bed is heavy.

Was successful in turning and locking the ring using a brass drift, screwdriver and a sledge hammer.
Truck fired up no problem. Back on the road.

I recently bought this tool for when I replace the fuel pump in my 98 chevy truck. I've used the brass punch and hammer before but am not a fan of it.

I recently helped replace the pump in a 1997 GMC truck and we had a little bit of difficulty getting it on and off and is the other reason I decided to be proactive and have this tool for later. I guess I will see how well it works at some point.
Amazon.com: Lisle 62970 Black Lock Ring Kit: Automotive

I recently bought this tool for when I replace the fuel pump in my 98 chevy truck. I've used the brass punch and hammer before but am not a fan of it.

I recently helped replace the pump in a 1997 GMC truck and we had a little bit of difficulty getting it on and off and is the other reason I decided to be proactive and have this tool for later. I guess I will see how well it works at some point.
Amazon.com: Lisle 62970 Black Lock Ring Kit: Automotive
At 420k miles and 4 fuel pumps, probably will have to replace fuel pump again in less than 100k. I might just have to cough up the money for the tool.

Reactions: wtd
Back