2002 prizm/corolla trouble reading dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought recently for my daughter a 02 prizm/corolla ,anyway trying to check the oil level is usually difficult to see, especially when new oil is put in. The oil just sort of smears on one side,leaving gaps and streaks half way up on the other side. any suggestions? thanks

Last edited:
Put in 4 quarts and don't worry about it until the oil gets dark enough to be able to read it.

aaah, the tough call.

Usually there is some (unclear) indication of where the "bulk" is. It may be partway between some of the smears, or it may be the lowest solid point you see, etc.

I try to go by volue charged in these conditions, and if it is close enough to what is expected, leave it alone. That said, a little overfill likely will not hurt.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Put in 4 quarts and don't worry about it until the oil gets dark enough to be able to read it.
+1. I like that idea. Sometimes if you run it a little after an oil change, let it sit overnight, then check it while cold, it's easier to see. And, look at both sides of the stick, sometimes that helps give a better indication.

Hope that Prizm is running well for you. I really liked my 89!

HTH
J

Does the dipstick look like this one? (off my 2005 1ZZFE Corolla)

img0881a.jpg

I've always found it easy to read, even with the almost clear Castrol GTX.

Be thankful you don't have a Subaru..
mad.gif
Worst dipstick I've ever seen!

Take care, Bill

If the dipstick has holes in it, then look to see if the holes has oil in them. This helps when the oil is brand new. You can also place the dipstick down on a clean paper towel that is folded very neatly. Look for the wet spot on the paper towel and get your reading before you lift up the dipstick.

If either of these tips don't help, then do what the other person said: put in the exact amount of oil stated in the manual and don't worry about it for a hundred miles or so. Once it darkens up it will be easier to read.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
I bought recently for my daughter a 02 prizm/corolla ,anyway trying to check the oil level is usually difficult to see, especially when new oil is put in. The oil just sort of smears on one side,leaving gaps and streaks half way up on the other side. any suggestions? thanks

Make sure you are giving the oil enough time to drain back down before you check it. In some cars it takes only a minute or two after you shut it off for the oil to drain down. Other cars it can take a while.

Try checking it first thing in the morning before you start it at all. The oil should be colder and has had all night to drain off of the dipstick.

I am considering that drill a few small holes idea. It only has two very small bumps on it now. cannot see a thing, just changed the oil in it. put in syntec blend, it's clear. and the dipstick is almost like shiny stainless steel, nothing wants to really stick to it.

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
I am considering that drill a few small holes idea. It only has two very small bumps on it now. cannot see a thing, just changed the oil in it. put in syntec blend, it's clear. and the dipstick is almost like shiny stainless steel, nothing wants to really stick to it.

So it is like the photo I posted above.

I've thought that dipstick is one of the easiest to read. Even without my close up glasses...

You know what Bill, it looks like the one you posted, however maybe they changed the metal or coating. The oil does not want to stick, it smears and leaves gaps and on one side the oil streaks go halfway up . I can see yours no problem, even if I do the.... put the dipstick on the papertowel and let the oil absorb, barely any oil shows on the papertowel, it's just not holding it on the stick. And I know it's full, I put in 4 qts 2 days ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back