2002 mustang gt tr3650

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 mustang gt with 137k on it with the tr3650 trans.
The transmissions shifts well and the car has a clutch with about 5k on it now.
It's just that I have tried pennzoil synchro mesh and mobile 1 syn atf per some of the mustang
I just cannot get this transmission to smooth out some. It's a very notchy transmission.
I currently have synchro mesh installed at 3qt 6oz like the mustang forum suggested.
The car drives smooth on the way to work when it's cool out. But, driving home in phoenix
The transmission gets difficult to shift as it warms up.

What would you guys suggest?

Your experiences with shifting getting harder at operating temps than when cold is exactly opposite of nearly all the complaints with manual transmission fluids. So am at a loss for that. Doesn't seem like it's due to the fluid as you've tried 7.5 cSt and 9+ cSt viscosities.

Maybe the new clutch has something to do with it....adjustments, balance, hydraulics, etc. It's not unusual to have up graded clutches installed and then the trans grinds more, gets notchier, etc.

Other than a mechanical issue being the cause, I'd consider a switch to conventional Dex 3 ATF fluid (GM 88861800 for example or Pennzoil ATF). Synthetics make some trans notchier. Thicker viscosities make some trans notchier. But a Dex 3 typically gives the least amount of notchiness...though not with nearly the same amount of gear protection additives seen in Synchromesh fluids.

RSG on TR3650's

I've seen the 3.2 qts mentioned before. The RSG article above says 3 liters (3.17 qts). You can get notchiness if the fluid is still a tad high, especially as the high temps in Phoenix expand the fluid even further.

When this trans was under warranty I repaired a few with this issue. Now I know this one is older and has been in use, but the issue was notchy and hard shifting. The fix was all new synros and 2 speed gears. The synros are dual ring type and I think they would stick and not do their job. The trans seemed strong and well built, but rebuilding them was a challenge early on due to the design.

Correct clutch and pilot install is very important

The clutch is a Sachs oem replacement which included the throw out and pilot bearing.
The clutch cable adjustment is fine and it engages disengages smoothly.

It's just when I am in stop and go traffic shifting effort gets harder. The trans does not grind or have
Any gear

I will probably change to dexron 3 like suggested once I get a chance.

I've used plain old (but quality brand name) Dex 3 in the WC T5 in my 88 and T45 in my 99 Cobra and works great. Using syncromesh is a hack and if you are using wrong viscosity fluid, that alone will cause problems. If the correct fluid doesn't work you can try thickening it up with some lucas (dont overfill trans tho) but its prob something actually wrong with the trans if you have done everything. Also the TR3650 is noticeably more notchy than the T5/T45/T56 trannies; I dont know the reason but it is and ive personally felt it in friends 01 cibra with same trans

I had the same issue on my old Mach 1. I replaced the fluid with Redline ATF and 3oz(IIRC) of LG Red and it smoothed the shifts out quite a bit. Kind of a notchy trans though.

Originally Posted By: JasonC
Royal Purple Synchromax cured all of my notchiness in my 2001 Bullitt and my 07 GT that used the same Tremec trans.

A few years back I changed the fluid in my '01 SVT Cobra (which has a TR3650) to Redline D4 ATF. I'm not sure what was in it before that (possibly the factory ATF fluid, it was red), but I didn't notice too much difference between it and the Redline. I still wasn't happy with the transmission so some time back I took Molakule's advice, studied his list, and chose RP Synchromax as well for my '01 SVT Cobra.

I finally got around to changing the fluid from the Redline D4 to the Synchromax a few weeks back. I noticed an immediate improvement and even after a few weeks now, I am still certain that the Synchromax is doing a better job with the synchros. I wouldn't call the difference dramatic, but it is significant and I see no reason to try anything else at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back