2002 LS1 Corvette

Hi All,

New to the forum but have been lurking for a while.

Currently have a 2002 corvette as the title states. Been running 5w30 Castrol edge in all of my cars (2000 4Runner, 1994 Miata and the Corvette) but have thought of moving to a 0-5W40 such as Castrol or Mobil.

The Corvette will be seeing daily driver duty in the summer as well as 3-4 HPDE (track days). Would the 0W40 be a good oil to blanket both types of driving. I assume it is better overall than the 5w30 Castrol especially when getting into the 280 degree range after a 20 minute session.

All input greatly appreciated

Page 6-14 in the owner's manual will tell you what you should use.
Yes, I totally understand that. However with the car being 20 years old, and newer, more advanced oils available today, I am looking to see if there is anything better available to suit my needs. Thank you for the bump.

1676652480634.jpg

I'd use M1 FS 0W-40 (the Euro oil).
This is what I am leaning towards but it seems like its very high calcium. Would this be bad for an older engine that is seeing high temps? I have read the detergents can fight with ZDDP.
I also see that it is getting SP rating and seems to be getting reformulated as Mobil took the PDS off their website and now brought it back on with higher pour point and increased viscosity at 100c.

This is what I am leaning towards but it seems like its very high calcium. Would this be bad for an older engine that is seeing high temps? I have read the detergents can fight with ZDDP.
I also see that it is getting SP rating and seems to be getting reformulated as Mobil took the PDS off their website and now brought it back on with higher pour point and increased viscosity at 100c.
No, the higher calcium is only a potential concern if you have direct injection (and ZDDP counters that, as it's a LSPI mitigator).

If you do hit the track you could rest assured that you have oil blended for harsh conditions.
My nephew likes Driven oil in his 4Piston Racing engines. (He owns the company.) He also likes that Valvoline. Those are his two picks. He likes Mobil 1 too but gets the Driven and Valvoline oils much more cheaply.

Wonder if they recommend this due to DI.
I believe so. It's been a while since I saw the numbers posted somewhere on here, but I don't think the ESP/Supercar Dexos2/R oil was drastically different from the Euro 0W-40, aside from being lower SAPS content. And the SAPS isn't a problem for the LS1. No reason to spend the extra money.

The Corvette will be seeing daily driver duty in the summer as well as 3-4 HPDE (track days). Would the 0W40 be a good oil to blanket both types of driving. I assume it is better overall than the 5w30 Castrol especially when getting into the 280 degree range after a 20 minute session.
280 deg F is pretty hot oil, so yes the xW-40 would give better high temperature protection.

Back