2002 Lincoln lighting options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has a rare eye disease, he uses what is basicaly a pair of binocular eye glasses, He is legal to drive, however uses extreme caution knowing that his field of view is limited and night driving is especially hard.

With that said ive already installed KC'daylighters, HID'S, small 55w driving lights to his truck, He's happy with it. However his 2002 Lincoln town car is another matter, ive retrofitted the car with propper HID projectors and its of course now equiped with HID headlights, he claims that there is plenty of white light, however on dark rainy nights even with HID's he's complaining of "washout" and not being able to see..

My father has asked me to mount KC'daylighters behind the grill of his car (plenty of room) however i know that not "street legal" and its behind a grill, so thats going to mess up some of the lighting.. He states that the KC'S on his truck provide enough yellow light to see on those dark stormy nights.. Im not crazy about putting KC'S behind the grill of a lincoln town car, with todays modern lighting systems i know there must be a better option ei, light bars, led's etc.. Im looking for tips or suggestions.

Does anyone have any experience with the more yellowish tinted HID bulbs ? the ones we are using now are the ultra white. Im open to suggestions

Are the ballasts 35 or 55 watt? A 55 watt ballast will cause washout, so will bad or cheap projectors. What components are you using in the system?
For hid bulbs, try either the genuine Philips Hid 85122(4300k) or the Osram Zenarc night breaker.
They are both a warm white and that's what you want. The philips with some yellow and the Osram more so for foul weather driving.
I've had the Osrams for 2years and they are by far the best in any type of weather, biggest difference is the price.
$95 for genuine philips and $190 for the Osrams. Available online @theretrofitsource .
The other option is to go back to halogen(much more yellow) and modify a 9012/9011 philips gen3 bulb if the car can accept it. The philips bulbs are about the best halogen bulb you'll find. You can find them on Amazon or candlepower.
They will probably be the better option for this situation.

Wow, for a "luxury" car, there was no fog light option.

Yes, you need to use a different HID bulb, lower kelvin the more yellow it is. I would avoid Phillips, just so many counterfeits out there.

Last edited:
it's sort of expensive but get a new and untinted windshield. I assume they make one for that year / car that is completely untinted. NOT light tint / or standard tint. You can get a strip of tint film for the very top. I hope he doesn't smoke - reduces oxygen to eyes. Are his glasses those varilux type? You really want totally nontinted at night - 2nd pair of glasses? I don't know what a KC Highlighter really is but they did make a clone of the Hella XL low beam supplements that are hard to find, - looked like a type 550? rectangular fog or driving light except with a low beam pattern. Do you have relays on everything? And frequent change of wiper blades and very frequently windshield cleanings inside and out?

Add on to my first post;
Some concerns are voiced about buying Philips hid bulbs due to counterfeiting. If you buy from a reputable dealer like
theretrofitsource, you don't need to be concerned, they only sell the legitimate bulb, not flea bay carp.

Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Are the ballasts 35 or 55 watt? A 55 watt ballast will cause washout, so will bad or cheap projectors. What components are you using in the system?
For hid bulbs, try either the genuine Philips Hid 85122(4300k) or the Osram Zenarc night breaker.
They are both a warm white and that's what you want. The philips with some yellow and the Osram more so for foul weather driving.
I've had the Osrams for 2years and they are by far the best in any type of weather, biggest difference is the price.
$95 for genuine philips and $190 for the Osrams. Available online @theretrofitsource .
The other option is to go back to halogen(much more yellow) and modify a 9012/9011 philips gen3 bulb if the car can accept it. The philips bulbs are about the best halogen bulb you'll find. You can find them on Amazon or candlepower.
They will probably be the better option for this situation.

its a 35w kit from the retrofitsource, and so are the projectors, all components of his HID system came from them, he loves the bright white at night from the kit, his only complaint is when its rainy out.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
his only complaint is when its rainy out.

He would need some aux lights then.

I would check this out: http://www.rallylights.com/ff75-driving-or-fog-lamp-each.html

I would get the driving beam pattern and installed them down in the grill opening below the bumper.

I would then buy some http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-9024-Stained-Aerosol-6-Ounce/dp/B003971B9K
Yellow stained glass paint, and paint the lenses Yellow.

Or instead of staining the lenses amber, you could get some extreme yellow bulbs: http://www.rallylights.com/all/lights/li...-bulb-pair.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back