2002 Grand Prix - 40th Anniversary Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone seen one of these? Found one in Des Moines the other day and wow, that thing screams PURPLE!!! I mean PURPLE exterior, 2 tone PURPLE and black seats, PURPLE dash, PURPLE steering wheel, and for some reason, I loved it! These are the pics of it, I think the color and the amount of it got my attention more than anything. Ya like it?

2002 Grand Prix 40th Anniversary

EDIT: Link takes you to dealership inventory, search Pontiac and click the PURPLE one!

Last edited:
The 40th Anniversary was just a continuation of special editions for the Grand Prix. They were basically the same thing year after year, with just variants in color.

2000 had a Daytona Edition
2001 had a Special Edition
2002 had the 40th Anniversary

There was also a Daytona in 1998 that was actually numbered and limited. The others were "limited", but not numbered.

There is two driving around town here. special rear wing and exhaust tips from a WS6 'bird i think. That color is not purple but rather a black cherry. It is a slick looking car when kept clean and polished.

I'm sorry, but as someone who remembers the original Grand Prix, I have to say that calling something with 4 doors a Grand Prix is a huge oxymoron.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
I'm sorry, but as someone who remembers the original Grand Prix, I have to say that calling something with 4 doors a Grand Prix is a huge oxymoron.

I'd get a 2-door myself if I was in the market for a GP but I gotta admit the 4-doors are very good looking. That's a really attractive car in my opinion.

Car is nice looking minus the wheels. Was never a fan of the Grand Prix interior(plastic and blah looking dash/HU). Buddy had a 97 GTP big on the rattles and squeeks from the dash area. I did love the HUD though, very cool
smile.gif

My father has a '67 Grand Prix convertible he bought new. He started the restoration years ago, but has stalled for the past couple years. I moved out of state and he has knee issues that keeps him from getting down to work on the car. It still has a quite a bit of work to go too. Original 400 with a 4 speed, pretty rare car actually.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
special rear wing and exhaust tips from a WS6 'bird i think.

That might be an SLP catback exhaust system, as they offered one for those cars.

Originally Posted By: css9450

I'd get a 2-door myself if I was in the market for a GP but I gotta admit the 4-doors are very good looking. That's a really attractive car in my opinion.

It is a generational thing.

Guys in their 20s and 30s only know of a Grand Prix that is a generic FWD family car that occasionally has a special edition. They do have a great deal of fun with the supercharged versions.

I never knew their was a Pontiac Grand Prix in that past that was a special car until a few years ago.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
special rear wing and exhaust tips from a WS6 'bird i think.

That might be an SLP catback exhaust system, as they offered one for those cars.
I did not see a pic of the car in question. I just know that the stock tips on the GTP/GT were square alloy and the 40th ones were quad rounds.

I had a friend who had one of those, nice color when clean. I don't remember the purple dash trim,though....maybe somebody painted that themselves? (I may be wrong)

They are not WS6 tips, WS6s only had one round tip on each side.

I had a 2001 GTP for a long time with some mods, it ran low 13's high 12's. Nice quiet and smooth. That is how I ended up with the Buick as a daily driver. Same drive train just a bit quieter.
More sound depending and rubber isolation in spots on the Regal.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

More sound depending
???

I do believe he meant dampening.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

More sound depending
???

I do believe he meant dampening.

That is what I meant. Thanks