2001 Subaru 2.5L Auto 5064miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
5064 miles using 5w/20 Ford/MC Semi/blend.

Mostly highway driven(85%)down to Tex/Mex over a 3-4 week period. NO oil was added for top up. Oil level was still very close to the full mark.

Driving 70-80mph when ever I could sometimes even 100mph (in some places of texas the speed limit is 80 while the 2 lane country roads are 75mph)

Car has little over 80,000miles on the OD. Oil/air filter are nippon/korean style purchased from rockauto.

"blackburn reports"
Code:

Al 2

Chr 0

Iron 4

Copper 2

Lead 0

Tin 0

Moly 40

Ni 0

Man 0

TiT 0

sil 0

Potas 2

Boron 103

Silicon 5

sodium 65

Cal 1903

Magne 7

Phos 570

Zinc 711

SUS vis @ 210F 51.5

cSt vis @ 100C 7.74

Flashpoint 375

Fuel dilution
Insolubles % 0.2

TBN 4.5

Most likely I would run this oil another 1000 miles on another trip like this and if I really wanted to extend the my oil intervals.

I would move up to a 5w/30 to keep the vis @100C a little higher for the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I can read it looks good. You could run a 6K OCI no problem with 5W-20. You should have about the same results as 5W-30.

Al-2
Chr-0
Iron-4
Copper-2
Lead-0
Tin-0
Moly-40
Ni,Man,TiT,sil,-0
Potas-2
Boron-103
Silicon-5
sodium-65
Cal-1903
Magne-7
Phos-570
Zinc-711
SUS vis @210F-51.5
cSt vis @ 100C-7.74
Flashpoint-375
Fuel dilution Insolubles % 0.2
TBN- 4.5

This should help....

Thanks zlove!

Report looks good, IMO, and viscosity is probably only a bit lower than what most Energy Conserving 5W-30's would be.

-Dennis

That engine is spected for 5w30 which is what I would use for sure. The report looks just fine but, I would want the little extra safely margin of a 5w30.

Nice report. I have been strictly running 5w20 in my EJ22 for the past couple years now and no problems. I will be doing a UOA here soon and it looks like it will be about 7K on Valvoline WB.

Nice report! I'd stick with the 5w30 personally, but with Subaru's new 20 weight recommendation it certainly won't cause major harm.

wow, goes to show that under ideal driving conditions a good oil can go many many more miles.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Nice report! I'd stick with the 5w30 personally, but with Subaru's new 20 weight recommendation it certainly won't cause major harm.

Don't forget that's a brand new engine with a bit larger sump. There have been a few 20 grade Subaru uoa's here over the years though.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: webfors

Don't forget that's a brand new engine with a bit larger sump. There have been a few 20 grade Subaru uoa's here over the years though.

-Dennis

exactly^^ but don't forget the new oil is also a synthetic as well

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Why the use of 5W-20?

..it all started several yrs ago..after driving for 20 yrs with the same vw diesel(1986), winter starting was getting to be nearly impossible with that tired old motor when the temps drop to -15C..with a 5w/20 it now starts easily and does not shake as much,..15 seconds later I am ready to drive..same goes for my old 86 subi..easier to keep one oil for all 3 cars..I have attached a remote oil pressure gauge to both the 86 subi and 86 vw diesel and the oil pressure is more then enough when fully warmed up..I did send a sample of the MC5w/20 oil used in the diesel to "blackstone" after 3000miles..I gave no information to them and asked simply what they thought of this sample including the TBN..I have not put this UOA up as of yet..the thinner oil has simply transformed my diesel into a likeable car to drive in the winter and it even consumes less oil when compared to the heavier oils..also with the thinner oil, the lifters are quiet once the oil warms up..I like experimenting with old machinery..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back