2001 sequoia ac not blowing hard

That is either a blend door, a blend door blends the air temp between cold/hot (mixes from the heater core or the a/c evaporator). Or it's the door that allows fresh air in or recirculated. Either way, obviously it's NOT supposed to be in the way of the hvac blower fan!

https://parts.toyota.com/ is the official toyota parts site, should have the diagram for yours, look there.
I agree. I’ve been looking around with it and for the life of me cannot figure out how to get it back in place. I’ll do some more digging. Thanks.

Last edited:
hey no problem.. I know you probably missed my latest post, you'll probably see it.. You might be able to just re-assemble it back into place.. if you have small hands you might manipulate it back into the pivot points.. without taking it all apart and having to replacing it.. could get lucky!

ok I had to look.. found this parts diagram, sure looks like it's the blend door that allows fresh or recirculated air through.. on the diagram , on the right, see where the blower fan goes into the housing? Look above there, see the criss-cross grill? That's the foam covered door that opens to allow fresh air in, closes to allow recirculated air.. I'm betting that's what fell down into the opening for the blower fan.. the temp blend doors are over where the evaporator is, usually to the left of that entire blower housing..

I looked up a 2001 sequoia limited and SR5, same part. It's not cheap, about $800.. and to fix it you'd probably have to drop some of the dash to get it out.. I'm only guessing, some cars are easier than others to get to that. here's the parts diagram..

also a link to the part at McGeorge Toyota parts.. https://parts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-blower-assembly-871300c020

View attachment 109613
Let’s say for the sake of argument, I just busted it and removed it, what’s the downside? I don’t have the ability to get recirc vs outside air? Is that a big deal? On the surface I don’t think it is but there may be a valid reason I’m not thinking of. Thanks for your help.

hey no problem.. I know you probably missed my latest post, you'll probably see it.. You might be able to just re-assemble it back into place.. if you have small hands you might manipulate it back into the pivot points.. without taking it all apart and having to replacing it.. could get lucky!
Yeah, I missed your reply. Got it tho. Thanks!

Let’s say for the sake of argument, I just busted it and removed it, what’s the downside? I don’t have the ability to get recirc vs outside air? Is that a big deal? On the surface I don’t think it is but there may be a valid reason I’m not thinking of. Thanks for your help.
hey you're welcome, glad to help.. You know I didn't even think about that.. you're right! They only thing is recirculated air usually gives a boost to the fan speed (sort of a vacuum boost) but if it's worse case scenario you could possibly just remove it through that hole! The door is connected to the motor on the side, but it fell down.. hmm.. would be cool to get an inspection camera up in there, maybe the rod rusted off? Either way to see what's up in there..Just nice to see what's in there before pulling on stuff, lol.. Wouldn't hurt (if you don't have an inspection camera) to push on it with your hands and see if it's loose already! I really like your idea, saves a ton of money!!

hey you're welcome, glad to help.. You know I didn't even think about that.. you're right! They only thing is recirculated air usually gives a boost to the fan speed (sort of a vacuum boost) but if it's worse case scenario you could possibly just remove it through that hole! The door is connected to the motor on the side, but it fell down.. hmm.. would be cool to get an inspection camera up in there, maybe the rod rusted off? Either way to see what's up in there..Just nice to see what's in there before pulling on stuff, lol.. Wouldn't hurt (if you don't have an inspection camera) to push on it with your hands and see if it's loose already! I really like your idea, saves a ton of money!!
My WiFi snake camera is charging as we speak, lol. I’ll let it charge for an hour or so and then go see what I find way up in there. Yes, the panel is totally loose, no hinges or anything holding it in place.
on a somewhat related topic, would it benefit me to use one of those cleaner kits you inject thru the condensate drain hose? I’m positive it’s not been done and I have 278,000’ish miles on it.

I'd rip that foam thing out of there.

My 2000 Camry had some screen mesh stuff behind the center vents. I removed the vents and ripped out that mesh and put the vents on. Blows like a windstorm now.

I'd rip that foam thing out of there.

My 2000 Camry had some screen mesh stuff behind the center vents. I removed the vents and ripped out that mesh and put the vents on. Blows like a windstorm now.
That may end up being what I do. I wanna dig a little further into it with my camera before doing so.

My WiFi snake camera is charging as we speak, lol. I’ll let it charge for an hour or so and then go see what I find way up in there. Yes, the panel is totally loose, no hinges or anything holding it in place.
on a somewhat related topic, would it benefit me to use one of those cleaner kits you inject thru the condensate drain hose? I’m positive it’s not been done and I have 278,000’ish miles on it.
awesome!! glad you have an inspection camera, I got a nice one and I think every toolbox should have one! Ahh so it is totally loose, I'm thinking water from outside could've gotten in there (it happens) and rusted that rod right off the recirc motor. ya once you see what's up, talk about an easy fix! I'll have my assistant send you my bill! :LOL::geek:

but about that foaming cleaner kits, it wouldn't hurt to clean the evap fins and the whole box, it will get more dirty with fresh air which you've been doing.. I couldn't find a cabin air filter for your sequioa.. So ya it might be a nice idea to clean it. The toyota cleaner I've heard of, you drill a hole in the evap box and then pump this foam into the entire box then it drains out the condensate line.. I bet cleaning that would help the a/c be colder too!

awesome!! glad you have an inspection camera, I got a nice one and I think every toolbox should have one! Ahh so it is totally loose, I'm thinking water from outside could've gotten in there (it happens) and rusted that rod right off the recirc motor. ya once you see what's up, talk about an easy fix! I'll have my assistant send you my bill! :LOL::geek:

but about that foaming cleaner kits, it wouldn't hurt to clean the evap fins and the whole box, it will get more dirty with fresh air which you've been doing.. I couldn't find a cabin air filter for your sequioa.. So ya it might be a nice idea to clean it. The toyota cleaner I've heard of, you drill a hole in the evap box and then pump this foam into the entire box then it drains out the condensate line.. I bet cleaning that would help the a/c be colder too!
If I could afford a bill, I wouldn’t be begging for help online. Lol. I do appreciate it tho. Between forums and YouTube, I’ve saved a ton and learned a lot as well. allows me to teach my kids how to DIY.
I’ll also get a cleaner kit.

lol.. ok ok no charge then! 😎 hey glad it looks like you might fix it easily! You might have to break that fresh door to get it through the blower fan hole, but I hope it's that easy! That's awesome that you'll be able to pass this down to your kids to be DIY'ers and self-sufficient, it's not like the world lately is getting any cheaper in labor prices!!

yeah I think the Toyota kit works well from what I've heard, there are sooo many cleaner kits out there! I used one from Home depot on the central a/c at my place, cleaned a lot of junk off and the a/c is bone cold now! So probably wouldn't hurt to clean yours..

lol.. ok ok no charge then! 😎 hey glad it looks like you might fix it easily! You might have to break that fresh door to get it through the blower fan hole, but I hope it's that easy! That's awesome that you'll be able to pass this down to your kids to be DIY'ers and self-sufficient, it's not like the world lately is getting any cheaper in labor prices!!

yeah I think the Toyota kit works well from what I've heard, there are sooo many cleaner kits out there! I used one from Home depot on the central a/c at my place, cleaned a lot of junk off and the a/c is bone cold now! So probably wouldn't hurt to clean yours..
I figured it out and “fixed it”. That panels moves, or is supposed to move when you change from fresh to recirc. It’s busted inside and the arm that actuates the panel is also broken outside the box this panel is in. I was able to gain access to assist my “repair” thru the glovebox. My sausage fingers were not having much luck but the short version is:

I drilled a hole thru the loose panel, then ran a bolt with a washer thru the backside. I then used a wire hanger to secure the panel to the grid I could see thru the glovebox. The air blows much harder now so that fixed that issue. I’m unsure if this is set on fresh or recirc but I at least have more air movement so that’s a win. Sorry some of the pics are out of focus, laying on my back halfway outta the car trying to take pics sucked. Thanks for everyone’s help!

Attachments

• EB80BCFA-A14C-4311-95E2-12A80AE9DD9A.jpeg
    EB80BCFA-A14C-4311-95E2-12A80AE9DD9A.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 10
  • B3144F79-9A59-4E25-8024-DBF7E4DB285F.jpeg
    B3144F79-9A59-4E25-8024-DBF7E4DB285F.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 6156CF49-ECE9-49CC-B63A-0640E5239D9F.jpeg
    6156CF49-ECE9-49CC-B63A-0640E5239D9F.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 7BB7C817-9EB2-4EDF-A1D6-3E29B7457156.jpeg
    7BB7C817-9EB2-4EDF-A1D6-3E29B7457156.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 0B377472-9B87-480F-AB31-75AEE5AAD07B.jpeg
    0B377472-9B87-480F-AB31-75AEE5AAD07B.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 10
I figured it out and “fixed it”. That panels moves, or is supposed to move when you change from fresh to recirc. It’s busted inside and the arm that actuates the panel is also broken outside the box this panel is in. I was able to gain access to assist my “repair” thru the glovebox. My sausage fingers were not having much luck but the short version is:

I drilled a hole thru the loose panel, then ran a bolt with a washer thru the backside. I then used a wire hanger to secure the panel to the grid I could see thru the glovebox. The air blows much harder now so that fixed that issue. I’m unsure if this is set on fresh or recirc but I at least have more air movement so that’s a win. Sorry some of the pics are out of focus, laying on my back halfway outta the car trying to take pics sucked. Thanks for everyone’s help!
that's awesome! congrats! 😃 I never realized how LITTLE space you have to work in there! But you got it done and yeah now that's out of the air flow I bet it's a lot better! No worries about the out of focus pictures it completely tells the story! The main rod is broken for whatever reason, only way to fix that is to tear that whole assembly out of the car.. No thanks! I bet the dash would have to be pulled. This fix is quick, simple, and DONE! (y)

oh and based on the style of blower box, that design looks exactly like my 96 Civic.. Since it looks similar.. If that door if it goes up (away from the grid) would block off the cowl air intake, meaning no fresh air, then it would be in re-circulation. Against the grid you've got fresh air coming into the blower box. Exactly what you wanted to have happen, plus it's better that way if you're in defrost you'd want fresher air (won't fog up easily)..

Back