2001 Honda Valkyrie - Shell 15w/40 Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning To All,

Thought I would post an update to last year's report with a new UOA. Mileage on the oil was 2,163 miles, in service for 1 year, bike now has 33,955 miles on it. I changed out the Mobil 1 Motorcycle 10w/40 and put in Rotella 15w/40 Conventional and I've listed the report below (Rotella is 1st column, M1 is 2nd column):

Alum 3 - 5
Chrom 0 - 1
Iron 13 - 30
Copper 6 - 11
Lead 0 - 0
Tin 0 - 2
Moly 18 - 82
Boron 76 - 234
Silicon 5 - 5
Sodium 4 - 5
Calc 2,320 - 1,771
Magnesium 39 - 125
Phosph 1,051 - 1,034
Zinc 1.204 - 1,153
SUS @210 71.3 - 67.8
Flash 400 - 405
Fuel Antifreeze 0 - 0
Water 0 - 0
Insolubles TR - 0.1
TBN 7.4 - 4.8

I am very pleased with the report having determined the reason for the elevated wear on Iron and Copper using the Mobil 1 oil was a result of the numerous starts of the engine as I listed in some earlier posts. I guess this confirms most wears of an engine is at start up? mad

It appears to me that the Shell Rotella 15w/40 Conventional did a good job, a gallon jug for about $12.00 at Walmart. laugh

When I changed oil, I put in Shell Rotella 5w/40 Synthetic, as I have had my best UOA's with this oil.

Hey RevRider,

Thanks for the posting the UOA, very informative.

Are you planning to stick with Rotella?

RevRider

Originally Posted By: RevRider
Hey RevRider,

Thanks for the posting the UOA, very informative.

Are you planning to stick with Rotella?

RevRider

crackmeup2.gif
that's great RevRider!

I guess you've managed to cut back on the many engine starts you were doing during the previous oci...good job there.

There is something missing, though. You didn't give us the viscosity in cSt
shocked.gif

Otherwise all looks good. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted By: RevRider
I am very pleased with the report having determined the reason for the elevated wear on Iron and Copper using the Mobil 1 oil was a result of the numerous starts of the engine as I listed in some earlier posts. I guess this confirms most wears of an engine is at start up? mad

Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back