2001 Grand Prix SE High Idle and late shifting too! {Must have taken a fit, It's OK now}

The best warranty is the one you don't need!
Conversely, WVE actually offers the best warranty!
Very true but the best warranty doesn't mean it's a quality part. I have used plenty of lifetime warranty electrical parts that fail after a few years. For example, the lifetime warranty Duralast coolant temp sensors for my 92 Cavalier usually only last a few years before malfunctioning. The standard brand ignition control module for the same car only lasted 11,000 miles before failing and taking out one of the coils with the same mileage on it. All of these parts have lifetime warranties but are crap parts. A Delphi fuel pump for our 1997 GMC farm truck lasted 11,000 miles before failing and it has a lifetime warranty as well. Electrical parts these days are just not what they used to be.
Since your TPS sensor is not hard to change and the Wells part is not that expensive, trying it is not going to hurt anything and maybe it will turn out to be a good part. OEM parts are not always a guarantee of getting a good part either these days.

vacuum leaks are good for stuff like that
Yes sir.
But {I could be wrong now} my thinking is a vacuum leak would present the high idle full time, whereas the high idle in my case only presents itself after the car is GOOD and warmed up.
Plus, I do have the CEL now, with the P0121 code.

Very true but the best warranty doesn't mean it's a quality part. I have used plenty of lifetime warranty electrical parts that fail after a few years. For example, the lifetime warranty Duralast coolant temp sensors for my 92 Cavalier usually only last a few years before malfunctioning. The standard brand ignition control module for the same car only lasted 11,000 miles before failing and taking out one of the coils with the same mileage on it. All of these parts have lifetime warranties but are crap parts. A Delphi fuel pump for our 1997 GMC farm truck lasted 11,000 miles before failing and it has a lifetime warranty as well. Electrical parts these days are just not what they used to be.
Since your TPS sensor is not hard to change and the Wells part is not that expensive, trying it is not going to hurt anything and maybe it will turn out to be a good part. OEM parts are not always a guarantee of getting a good part either these days.
"But It Has A Lifetime Warranty"
"Yes, and you're going to need it"!
I've heard of AZ and or AA giving people a refund, after too many warranty claims, and telling them,
"Here, put this refund $$.$$ toward a quality part"

Reactions: wtd
Apsoulty agree! However, I only drive ~ 2,000 miles a year, if that. If I get say 10 K miles out of that TPS, I'm good.
What year did you install the Delphi fuel pump. I know a lot of guys that swore by Delphi fuel pumps.
That was ~13 years ago though.

I put an Ebay $10.00 fuel pressure regulator on my 2002 Alero. It did well. I didn't document the mileage though.

Reactions: wtd
Apsoulty agree! However, I only drive ~ 2,000 miles a year, if that. If I get say 10 K miles out of that TPS, I'm good.
What year did you install the Delphi fuel pump. I know a lot of guys that swore by Delphi fuel pumps.
That was ~13 years ago though.
Yes, Delphi used to be good but I wouldn't trust them now. I have read quite a few cases where a recent Delphi pump has not lasted very long.
The pump was installed in 2020. The pump went out last year in 2022. We installed another Delphi because we couldn't find an AC-Delco pump and the first one had a lifetime warranty, so we put another one in even though I really didn't want to. Hopefully this one lasts longer.

Yes, Delphi used to be good but I wouldn't trust them now. I have read quite a few cases where a recent Delphi pump has not lasted very long.
The pump was installed in 2020. The pump went out last year in 2022. We installed another Delphi because we couldn't find an AC-Delco pump and the first one had a lifetime warranty, so we put another one in even though I really didn't want to. Hopefully this one lasts longer.
I had a Delphi Pump in the Alero {I put in} Circa 2010, it lasted till Circa 2018.
Hopefully this one lasts longer.
Yeah, it might have been a fluke.

NOPE! ACDELCO 2134668
No Results Found
This product is not in stock in any stores within 50 miles!
I've never had good luck with Wells sensors for computerized cars. Sometimes it has taken 2-3 exchanges to find a good one. Old school stuff like points/condenser/coils (can style), no issues. Might be worth sourcing from the dealer if you can, especially for something that can ruin your day if it malfunctions. Worth the extra $ imo. Don't know about you, but I don't particularly like walking if I that's not what I left the house for (and it will inevitably be raining and after dark when it happens lol). Good luck, however you decide to go!

Took the car out tonight behaved itself pretty well till I got home and let it idle in the driveway for a while cleared the code check engine light didn't come back on.
Sitting in the driveway idling looking at the scanner she kicked up to 2.75% while idling, and at the same time the idle kicked up to about 1300.
Screenshot_20231008-201352.png

Back