2001 Dodge rfe45 topped off with dexron 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The transmission had what dodge specs, atf+4, would the fluid now be "contaminated"? The system has 14 quarts total and two quarts were added. Are these two fluids that much different?

Last edited:
A "relative" checked it for another "relative" and added too much but the truck was driven about 5 miles and then I sucked out about two quarts through the dip stick. Other posts on BITOG say it's ok to mix the two but I do see the viscosities are different. I will probably flush it.

2 qt out of 14 will probably not be that bad, but change it at your earliest convenience. If that transmission pan doesn't have a drain plug, get the Dorman pan that has one.

Do 3-4 drain and fills using the ATF+4 of your choice, with a few miles to a week between drains.

All ATF+4 on Chrysler's official approval list are the same, so just shop on price. However, the best ATF for Chrysler transmissions is Red Line C+, even though it is not officially licensed by Chrysler (it has the same Lubrizol add pack as licensed ATF+4, but uses a Group V base oil instead of the specific Group III required for Chrysler's formal approval). So if you're willing to spend the money and you're out-of-warranty, get Red Line C+. Otherwise, just get the cheapest ATF+4 on Chrysler's approved list (Walmart ST ATF+4 is licensed).

There is not a drain and I think it is stupid when they don't include one but I use a gas can hooked to an old vacuum to take fluid out of the fill tube. Thanks

This is what I use down the dipstick tube on my Ram 68RE, I can get enough fluid out to get the level below the pan gasket which makes dropping the pan a lot easier & less messy.

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-61364.html

Worked great last weekend both directions on my wife's Mustang with 6R80 that lacks a dipstick tube.

Current "deal" on ATF+4 FYI as well. My 4x4 took 7.5 qts. for a single pan drop & filter change, system dry fill for me is 16 qts.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00DJ4FIMO/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
You are fine 14Q is a [censored] capacity - sleep and don't worry about it whatsoever!!!

This is BITOG. He now has a reason to do some drain-n-fills.

Get with the program!

Originally Posted By: HangFire
You are fine 14Q is a [censored] capacity - sleep and don't worry about it whatsoever!!!

Get with the program!
So you are saying that the two are not compatible in this transmission?

Originally Posted By: montero91
Originally Posted By: HangFire

Get with the program!

So you are saying that the two are not compatible in this transmission?

I wouldn't say the two are not compatible with each other, but I strongly believe LV Dexron 6 is not a suitable replacement for ATF+4 fluids.
Having said this, the current 2 qts LV Dexron 6 in a 14 qts sump would not cause measureable harm to the transmission in continuing service ..... for another 20-30K miles of service , by which time 'only' ATF+4 should used in all future D&F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back