2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 transfer case fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmo

I have a 2001 2500HD with the 8.1 liter and Allison transmission.

When the transfer case fluid was changed it mistakenly had the Auto Trak II fluid put in it. After some research it was determined that it should have the manual trans fluid in it.

I spoke to a mechanic at the GM dealership and he suggested that the Auto Trak fluid is a much better fluid and I should just leave it alone.

Any experts on transfer case fluid care to weigh in on this subject please

If it doesn't have an "AUTO" button at the top of the 4wd switches, use Dex III fluid. With "AUTO" button use Auto Trak II. With an AUTO transfer case, GM wants to fluid changed twice if the original fluid isn't blue. New fluid is updated and blue in color. Your HD shouldn't have an AUTO button, so use Dex III.

Some people say GM's labeled manual trans fluid is just Dex III since they no longer license Dex III or use it. Original spec was Dex III.

In my opinion-change it and sleep well knowing you have the correct fluid.

Dave

Last edited:
Call merchant auto in zeeland michigan, I think u can use dex vi in any tfr case,
Merchant has a alternate fluid.

Leave it in.

If the MTF is the renamed Dexron3, I wouldn't waste a dime on it. Next time use a full synth AT/MT/TC fluid.

8.1/2500hd would most like be mechanical xfer case.

Research you VIN/options to see if equipped with grind itself holy transfer case, and upgrade.

It is the push button 4 WD. 2 HI, 4 HI, and 2 LO. The round identification tag is missing off the transfer case of course.

132,000 miles and it does not leak yet... I don't want to test fate though.

Thanks for the input, and keep it coming if anybody has anything else add.

Originally Posted By: vmo
It is the push button 4 WD. 2 HI, 4 HI, and 2 LO. The round identification tag is missing off the transfer case of course.

132,000 miles and it does not leak yet... I don't want to test fate though.

Thanks for the input, and keep it coming if anybody has anything else add.

You have a NP-263HD, You can verify this by the NP1 listed on the RPO code sticker in the glove box.

These Transfer Cases have a bad reputation for the oil pumps rubbing a hole in the case (After the Rattle Clip Breaks).....This is known as Pump Rub.

Most Techs, Including myself....Have NO way to know for sure Auto-Trak II is Better or Worse for your HD transfer case than Dexron III. I do know your NP-263HD specs Dexron III.

When I service a truck with a Allison & a NP-263HD, I use the same ATF in the Transfer Case that I serviced the Allison with. Castrol Transynd, Amsoil Torque Drive etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back