2001 Acura CL Type-S: Observations from service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background: My friend recently picked up a salvaged 2001 Acura CL Type-S, and just had the oil jet recall performed two weeks ago. The vehicle is on its second transmission, early design, but the exact mileage of this replacement unit is unknown as it was taken from a 2002 Acura TL Type-S. However, the total mileage on the vehicle itself was 75,300 miles at the time of the fluid change.

Impressions before the fluid change: 2-3 shift was very jerky. 3-4 shift exhibited an occasional slip. All other shifts (1-2, 4-5) were OK.

ATF condition prior to service: Dark red, though I didn’t recall a burned odor. This replacement transmission had clearly been serviced before, as the 3/8” drive for the drain bolt was almost completely rounded off, and the bolt was tightened so tight that the washer was not removable from the plug.* The magnetic drain plug was completely
coated with a very thick layer of dark, metallic paste.

Tool Combinations used:

½” Drive Ratchet + ½” to 3/8” adapter: Break off overtightened, rounded drain plug.
½” Drive Ratchet+ 1 ft extension+ 24mm, 6-pt socket: remove hollow fill plug.
3/8” Drive Ratchet + 6” extension+ 12mm, 6-pt socket: remove bolt holding down oil jet bracket to remove oil jet.
½” Drive, ft-lb torque wrench: Torque drain bolt
3/8” Drive Ratchet: Loosen/tighten drain bolt between fluid drains

Parts Used/Cost:

(2) SuperTech Dexron-III(H)/Mercon gallon: $14.00
(1) Lubegard HFM Supplement: $12.00
(1) Valvoline Maxlife ATF: ? It was already at the guy’s house, it was used to cover the 1 qt we were missing.

ATF used and procedure followed:

First drain and refill: 3 quarts of SuperTech Dexron-III(H)/Mercon. I then went from 1-5 several times (with wheels spinning) while on the rack. Total run time was about 5 minutes.

Second drain and refill: 3 quarts of SuperTech Dexron-III(H)/Mercon. Also went from1-5 several times. Total run time was about 3 minutes.

Third (final) drain and refill: 2 quarts of SuperTech Dexron-III(H)/Mercon, 3/4 quart of Valvoline Maxlife ATF (Honda Z-1 compatible). I also added 6 ounces of Lubegard HFM Supplement to convert the Dexron-III(H) used during the final fill and the leftover Dexron-III(H) from the earlier flushes, as well as refresh any remaining old fluid.

Note: three drain and refills removes approximately 80% of the fluid. The unit holds 7.6 quarts total. As a result, I had 5 quarts of Dexron-III(H) in the transmission and 3/4 quart of Maxlife fluid, so I really only had to add 5 ounces of Lubegard as the Maxlife was already Honda compatible. I added 6 ounces anyway to refresh the old fluid leftover.

Impressions after ATF change: 1-2 shift is smooth, but noticeable. 2-3 shift is smooth, no longer terribly jerky, but still very noticeable. I could live with it. Other shifts are imperceptible (3-4, 4-5). After the ATF change, the fluid color appears to be light to medium red. Will also have to recheck fluid level soon as it appears to only be between the low and full dots.

Hopefully this will give the unit some additional time before a rebuild is needed. Time will tell how well this Lubegard mix holds up.

* I did not replace the destroyed drain bolt or the washer. We did not discover this problem until the vehicle was up on the lift, so I had to make the best of the current situation. Luckily, I was barely able to remove the plug during each of the three drain and refills. At the final re-installation, I torqued the plug to about 60-70 ft-lbs and so far, it has not leaked.
cheers.gif

I think you ought to seriously consider pulling off some of the primary solenoids, checking the resistance across the terminals on each of them, and inspect the screens for excessive clogging. While it may be somewhat time consuming, the process could just improve the shift quality if they aren't clean.

BTW, the A/B solenoid using a cork/paper gasket. Keep a spare handy if the original falls apart on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back