2001 Accord VTEC engine problems low oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
That's a code for the VTEC oil activation system. It needs the correct viscosity as the system uses oil pressure to activate the VTEC mechanism.

No it doesn't. I've run a straight 30wt in the TL which is spec'd for 5w-20 and even in the winter only a few minutes after startup it will hit vtec no problem.

Originally Posted By: bigsteve
Does Honda recommend changing the oil filter every other oil change @ 7500 mile changes?

For 'regular' service, yes.

Not sure if the 2001 differs from the 2002, you need to get a owners manual, can you download one online from Honda ? My 2002 recommends 7500 mile oil changes (that's using conventional oil, and it also clearly states the use of synthetic does not change the service interval, but can be used) and the owners manual also recommends oil filter change every other oil change (once ever 15,000 miles) for normal service. Below is a link which you can find your service interval information on, it's good information to have, you can get all kinds of info from a forum, and some of it like I have posted is going by what I have, you can look up your exacting specifications for your car on that link, also I think very few people fall into severe service, if you think you are at a mix for normal service, and severe split the difference on the interval.

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?page=%2FProd_Main.asp

The VTEC is a mechanical application, not dependent on oil pressure. The 5W-20/30 goes back to the classic thick/thin oil debate that just never leaves this site.....but, that's what this site is for!!!! My 02 Accord had a diet of nothing but M1 EP 5W-30 and Purolator filters from after breakend until the day I traded her in. I didn't buy into the 5W-20 crowd and STILL don't. My 06 and 10 Honda's are all on the same stuff with 12-13K OCI's. Funny the low oil issue. On the 02, about 7 months ago around 200K, I checked the oil in it and it was freakin' THREE quarts low. That car NEVER used oil. I even went as far as almost blaming my wife for somehow dumping the oil out. Just couldn't believe for the life of me it was that low. Of course, the idiot oil light never came on. I scanned over the engine/oil filter, but no signs of leaking anywhere. The spot where she was parked in the garage never had oil on it. Even up to this day, it still puzzles me exactly what happened to the oil? For the 8 years I had it, every oil change would dump out between 4.5 to 5 quarts of oil, everytime. May that was another reason I decided to trade her in. Too many unanswered, which lead to un-nerving, questions.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I have been getting this code P1259 on my 2001 Honda Civic. I took it to a dealer and he diagnosed the problem to be lack of oil. An oil service was done and I drove the car for about 2 days and the the check engine light came back on. I took it back and the dealer said that this was because of a VTEC System Failure and that the vtec system may need to be replaced if it keeps coming back on. They found no other issues with the car.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: bigsteve
Anyone know if the VTEC engine will have problems from having low oil level but no indicator light on and posibly PO used wrong grade of oil in this enging.He was also getting a code P1259.

Yeah this has been a issue with my 2001 Civic lately. I took it to the dealer and he said it was because of low oil. But it came back again a couple of days after the oil service. He now says the vtec system or chip ( i dont know the exact term) has to be changed.

They diagnosed it as a vtec system failure. but they found no issues with the car. so hence the recommendation for changing vtec unit.

Originally Posted By: robertvee
Hi Guys,

I have been getting this code P1259 on my 2001 Honda Civic. I took it to a dealer and he diagnosed the problem to be lack of oil. An oil service was done and I drove the car for about 2 days and the the check engine light came back on. I took it back and the dealer said that this was because of a VTEC System Failure and that the vtec system may need to be replaced if it keeps coming back on. They found no other issues with the car.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Also there is engine stagger between 75 and 80 mph.

On OBD1 Hondas there were only two Vtec DTCs; one for electrical failure in the vtec solenoid, and other for electrical fault in the Vtec pressure switch. Both of these codes are electrical faults, that is ECU detected short or open in the circuit. I could not find any references to DTC 1259 in obd2 manuals I have, 97 Acura 2.5TL (non-vtec) and 2007 Honda Accord (has Itec) but no code 1259. I could not find DTC 1259 for Honda OBD2 on BAT website (batauto.com).

I'm not doubting you have the code, but problem should be as simple as damaged wiring, connector, or faulty component Vtec solenoid or pressure switch. A used part should be inexpensive and have your problem fixed. You can find the problem w/ a multimeter to locate circuit defect.

good luck

DTC P1259 starts on page 6-7 of the factory service manual & is 27 steps long. It is defined as a problem in the VTEC oil pressure switch circuit or VTEC solenoid valve circuit. The special tools (Honda p/n provided) required include a pressure gauge adaptor p/n 07NAJ-P07010A, A/T Low pressure gauge w/ panel 07406-0070300, A/T pressure hose 07406-0020201, A/T pressure hose, 2,210mm 07MAJ-PY40120, & A/T pressure adaptor 07MAJ-PY40120. I don't know how many of these are just standard tools that Honda provides p/n for their dealer techs. VTEC oil pressure switch is one possibility, intermittent failure is one thought, bad wire, VTEC solenoid valve could be bad, or ECM/PCM could be bad.

If you want I can post the directions. Just let me know via PM (as I don't follow this thread).

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
The VTEC is a mechanical application, not dependent on oil pressure. The 5W-20/30 goes back to the classic thick/thin oil debate that just never leaves this site.....but, that's what this site is for!!!! My 02 Accord had a diet of nothing but M1 EP 5W-30 and Purolator filters from after breakend until the day I traded her in. I didn't buy into the 5W-20 crowd and STILL don't. My 06 and 10 Honda's are all on the same stuff with 12-13K OCI's. Funny the low oil issue. On the 02, about 7 months ago around 200K, I checked the oil in it and it was freakin' THREE quarts low. That car NEVER used oil. I even went as far as almost blaming my wife for somehow dumping the oil out. Just couldn't believe for the life of me it was that low. Of course, the idiot oil light never came on. I scanned over the engine/oil filter, but no signs of leaking anywhere. The spot where she was parked in the garage never had oil on it. Even up to this day, it still puzzles me exactly what happened to the oil? For the 8 years I had it, every oil change would dump out between 4.5 to 5 quarts of oil, everytime. May that was another reason I decided to trade her in. Too many unanswered, which lead to un-nerving, questions.

vtec is mechanical, but the vtec solenoid is activated by oil pressure within the unit itself.

Yeah, low oil will give the VTEC system some problems. It requires a certain pressure to engage.

If its still acting up after a top up, see if you can find the VTEC solenoid. Its usually three bolts, remove these, and carefully dissaseble the unit. Theres a screen you can clean and the housing itself.

This has helped me in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back