2000 Subaru impreza coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a 2000 Subaru impreza outback sport with the 2.2L engine. Have put about 3000 miles on it so far. I'm not sure when the last owner changed the coolant, but it looks to have normal green coolant. I've read a lot about Subaru's having specific coolant guidelines due to the head gasket problems on some engines. I know 2.2's don't have the faulty head gasket design, but I don't want to cause any problems by using the wrong coolant. Especially since I don't know the current fill other than the color is green. Can anyone steer me in the right direction on what type of coolant would be best for my engine? TIA.

If you can get it for an acceptable price, I'd just get OEM. If not, Peak Global (the bloody hard to find one, not the dexcool one) is pretty good.

OEM with one bottle (it's small) of Subaru Cooling System Conditioner.

FYI, the EJ22 is a great engine and not prone to head gasket failures like its EJ25 cousin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
OEM with one bottle (it's small) of Subaru Cooling System Conditioner.

FYI, the EJ22 is a great engine and not prone to head gasket failures like its EJ25 cousin.
+1

The OEM is always the best for these motors, and the pretty emerald green color should be reason enough to buy it! I however have had great success with the Peak Long Life 50/50 you can find at any auto parts store. You may also want to consider a flush and fill with the new SuperBlue Subaru coolant good for 100k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back