2000 QX4 Infiniti accelerating out of control???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so this vehicle I have serviced a few times for a co-worker. They just called me half an our ago saying they were driving and the car just started going faster.

The person had to use full on brakes + parking brake(not clear if they shifted into Neutral or not, apparently it 'sounds' like that didn't help).

What could this be? Stuck pedal or broken throttle linkage?

I haven't seen the car yet but want to get an idea of if it's something I can tackle or not before attempting. I already advised not to drive the vehicle, obviously.

I recently changed the oil and did a transmission fluid drain 're-fill'.

The person also mentioned the pedal came back up but felt 'different'. They also heard a loud pop.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Throttle butterfly spring partly dislodged?

Ah, good idea. I had them pull on the throttle cables to see if they were tight or not. This could be it, but I was even trying to get them just to use a friend to press the pedal while looking at the throttle plate/the cables, but it was like speaking Latin to them. I couldn't get them to understand how exactly to gain access to the area, etc.

Perhaps the throttle plate stuck open? I've never had this happen nor heard of this happening on R50s. Was cruise control being used when this problem occurred?

I would lubricate the throttle cable and ensure nothing is obstructing the throttle body or cables (including cruise cable). Maybe clean the throttle body while you're at it. EDIT: And ensure that the two screws holding in the throttle plate are not missing.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Throttle butterfly spring partly dislodged?

Yep, this was the culprit. Too bad it needs a brake job now, but at least the car is okay and no one got hurt.

banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back