2000 Honda CR-V B20B Valve cover open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. I've been viewing this forums for years without an account. Just been to US as a grad student. Just want to share my previous car which I use in Taiwan till this summer.
The car has 350000 km when I sold it and it looks perfectly clean filled with already 10000km of AMSoil SSO 0w-30. The car was regularly having 5000km oci at local honda dealer with honda 5w-40 (made by idemitsu) until it my father pass it to me. After that, I tried several different brands oils from CPC dino straight 30 SJ/CD (Runs quietly and smooth!), mobil clean 5000 to high end such as RL 5w-30 with OCI 5000-10000km. No problems with that engines at all and I believe it can last forever.

For here, I just got a 2017 accord I4 and will be changing with any 0w-20 GF-5/SN oil on sale under $3 a quart fallowing OLM to maintain warranty. Although it's kind of boring to me since there are good HDEOs here in US like T5 or Delo with reasonable price.

vGkML

Z2I2N

I just wish Honda would make an automatic transmission that will last forever or at least as long their engines. I have an 03 CRV and am ready for my third transmission. I have 196,000 miles and am starting to experience slippage from first to second when the transmission is cold.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I just wish Honda would make an automatic transmission that will last forever or at least as long their engines. I have an 03 CRV and am ready for my third transmission. I have 196,000 miles and am starting to experience slippage from first to second when the transmission is cold.

That's odd....I have an '05 with 237k and it shifts perfectly still. I have only used Honda ATF since about 60k, and between 5k and 60k it had Amsoil's ATF in there. Drain and fill every 30k.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Kool1...How often are you draining and refilling the ATF?

I've been doing 3 drain and refills every 30,000 miles using Honda ATF. I'm now using Maxlife which seems to shorten the flaring cycle between the first and second shift.

I've been driving my accord with a slipping/flaring trans, for close to 200,000 miles. I remember at 230,000 my dad said I should have the trans rebuilt. And I suspect a lot of people have when they could have just kept driving. That may not be what happened to you, but I would just keep driving it.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Kool1...How often are you draining and refilling the ATF?

I've been doing 3 drain and refills every 30,000 miles using Honda ATF. I'm now using Maxlife which seems to shorten the flaring cycle between the first and second shift.

Wow, that is a lot of trans fluid. I'm going with a single drain and fill every 3rd OCI or about 20k miles. I've done 2 since we got it as 220k km and I could only find receipts for a single 3L out, 3L in, done by the dealer at 160k km... It's had an easy life, with my Mom driving it for the first 8 years but it does spend alot of time messing around between 4th and 5th locking and unlocking the TC in our hills.

My wife aquired a 2000 Civic with 101,000 miles. ATF was black. And I mean diesel-engine oil black. In overdrive, the trans started vibrating, bucking, and would refuse to downshift unless you floored it. I figured, what the heck? I'll change it and if it grenades, it was going to anyway. Did the 3x drain/ fill with DW-1 and the car now has 215,000 and shifts perfectly. I do a drain/ fill every 30,000 now. We bought a 2008 CR-V last year with 79,000 on it. ATF was dark, not black. I had to use a jack and a breaker bar to get the drain plug loose. So, I assume it was never changed. Did the same as above and it's still going great.

I think Honda had a real problem with trannys when they started building bigger, higher torque vehicles. Early CR-Vs, Pilots, V6 Accords, Odysseys, etc.. seem to have higher-than-normal trans failures (at least from what reading I've done.) I've not heard a lot about it from more recent (last 10 years) models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back