2000 Honda Accord V6 erratic idle, hard start

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Honda Accord V6 with 114k miles

Car starts normal every morning but after a few errands and only on hot days, (the engine ~208 F), the car starts but then quickly dies.

To get it to start again, while in park, I step on the gas at ~2-3K RPM for 1 minute and then it will turn on.
Car will idle erratically (like the TPS is going crazy), and usually stabilizes and starts running normal. But it's taking longer....

I use to quick shift the car before it would die but I stopped doing that for fear of causing more damage.

Once in Drive the erratic idling will stop.

Parts replaced or tested:
Main relay

Parts that need to be replaced or tested:
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Coil packs
o2 sensors

Previously had an EGR issue but that was resolved (drilled out port for EGR)

Any advice is greatly appreciated

The erratic idle is also called hunting. Can be a failing maf sensor. When it is having a problem disconnect the maf and try to start the car. If it starts try cleaning the maf. If cleaning doesnt help replace the maf. If you have a scan tool that has real time data look at the maf readings.

If it drives OK when you put in gear and apply gas, it is probably the idle air control valve. This valve is important for idling, starting, and response when you putt along with your foot barely on the gas. Valve can be removed and cleaned it usually has a lot of black intake gunk in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back