2000 GMC/Mobil1/5w30/ 5900 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here ya go...

It doesn't use anti-freeze but I'm wondering if the oil cooler may be leaking a bit.

-

Thats level is enough to cause trouble. You need to get it fixed. Just to confirm its not a mistake, I wojuld do a change immediately and then run a dino oil like Havoline maybe 1500 or so miles and then do another analysis. Antifreeze causes higher viscosity. This engine while not really known of head gasket/intake gasket..its not a rarity. We have seen several on here.

Looks like a minor intake manifold gasket leak. I have a '99 GMC with the same engine, same problem. I've been using a stop leak product (Irontite) that seems to be keeping the problem under control for now.

Keep a close eye on the overflow tank for any changes in coolant consumption. Go ahead and try Bars Leak or the GM coolant tabs and do another UOA on your next oil change. If the problem persists, you may just have to bite the bullet and have the intake gasket changed.

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
Intake gasket....you can take that to the bank.

Uhhh yea.

With 3 different possibilities you can't make that assumption. While GM Vortec motors seem to leak due to poor gasket design, there is also the oil cooler and heads.

Coolant reacts with engine oil to form an acidic sludge. The first parts to show abnormal wear are the main and rod bearings. This is the reason why your lead levels are elevated and why the viscosity is so high - it should be in the 60-65 SUS range in this case.

I'm not sure about the reluctance of ** labs to flag this issue? But unless you're feeding bananas into the intake, you have a coolant leak that will only get worse.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Coolant reacts with engine oil to form an acidic sludge. The first parts to show abnormal wear are the main and rod bearings. This is the reason why your lead levels are elevated and why the viscosity is so high - it should be in the 60-65 SUS range in this case.

I'm not sure about the reluctance of ** labs to flag this issue? But unless you're feeding bananas into the intake, you have a coolant leak that will only get worse.

I realize it will get worse. I never said it wouldn't for crying out loud. I will wait and see what my follow-up shows me before I do anything. Troubleshoot then repair. I don't plan on throwing money in the wrong direction on this problem.

FWIW, I really think this thread has gone far enough. Thanks for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back