2000 Dodge Gr Caravan A/C problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm not sure if it is something wrong with the AC or not..Here's the deal, I have the AC both front and rear in this van. It has vents in the ceiling, so there is also a condenser in the rear trunk area of the van. when I have the AC running in the back, I hear a continuous hissing sound coming from the expansion valve, and it's loud enough that it is actually annoying. The AC seems to be cooling the van just fine, so no issue there, it's just this hissing sound. It would come and go, but is more pronounce while driving in town, although it still does it at highway speeds. Just this morning, it hissed (lol..maybe I have a snake trapped in there) for like 8 minutes straight and wouldn't stop. Is this typical of the Doge Caravans? Anyone else out there notice this? Is there a fix for it if there is something wrong? That's if something really is wrong..

How long has it been doing this? Quite possibly the van is still cooling but there is a slow leak leading to low refrigerant levels and hence the hissing. That generation Caravan is well known for front evaporator leaks (ask me how I know - been there, done that).

I suspect you have some debris on the expansion valve (or fixed orifice). It's your choice if you want to discharge the system and pull the orifice tube out for inspection. If it is cooling fine I wouldn't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back