2000 Chrysler neon oil recomendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 chrysler neon with 200 000Km on it.
I have been using 5W-30 Castrol regular oil in it from the time i bought it when it was at 100 000Km. the car didnt even come with an owners manual so i don't know what it should have anyways a friend told me it should be running 5W-30 because he also had a neon. so i run that oil type all year round.

A few years ago i noticed on cold mornings the engine bangs allot for a couple seconds after starting. I am guessing its the thick oil not getting up quick enough.

I was considering switching to synthetic but a person from another forum told me it might do more harm than good at that millage.

What would you guys recommend? Should i switch to synthetic?
or go to a lighter oil for the winter time?

I really like the information on this site and a lot of it sheds a lot of light on oils. I found it to be very helpful in understanding how oils work and the classification process.

So the question remains what to use?

5W is more than plenty for your area of the country. You don't need to go to 0W being in southern Ontario region. I live in northern Alberta and use 5W-20 year round. When I lived in southern Ontario I used 10w-30 all year.

Last edited:
What are good oil filters to use? I use a Quaker state filter.

I used to use fram but i heard bad things about those.

are there any good high flow ones maybe that i could use for the winter months?

Originally Posted By: Dariusz
What are good oil filters to use? I use a Quaker state filter.

I used to use fram but i heard bad things about those.

are there any good high flow ones maybe that i could use for the winter months?

I've always wondered who makes the QS oil filters. They have the same numbering system as FRAM expect they start with QS instead go PH, XG, etc. Are they made by FRAM anybody know?

The FRAMs actually have high flow rates.

Last edited:
I know they are two separate companies who make Quaker and fram.
I had same results with fram and with quaker.

Maye i will try K&N next.
Does anyone know what brand the dealer ones are?
Must have something to do with flow rate.

The car didn't make the banging noise when it was newer when it was a cold start

The car didn't make the banging noise when it was newer when it was a cold start

You could try a NAPA Gold or an OEM filter from Chrysler.

If you do NOT have consumption issues or leaks, you can probably switch to synthetic without issue.

Mobil seems to recommend 5w30 if temperatures ever go below 0 F in that car or 10w30 if temperatures are always above 0 F in that car.

Therefore, you have been good in the viscosity selection already.

Good luck!

Wix, NAPA Gold, Mobil-1

if it's an oil filter problem, then it sounds like a drainback issue, not flow rate. That would be why it only happens for a couple seconds.
We have a 97 Neon in the family, I'm pretty sure 5w30 is the standard recommendation. I wouldn't go any thinner, and I doubt viscosity is the issue anyway, or you'd be hearing it longer than a couple seconds.

We had another car (not a Neon) that had a startup rattle, it sounded like it was from the engine, but it turned out to be a broken sway bar. It's a longshot but some random loose part could possibly cause a noise like that.

Last edited:
Thanks guys this is very helpful information.
smile.gif

Yep, a 5w30 like Maxlife or Quaker State Ultimate Durability will do you real well, but like the others I think your start up issues are filter ADBV related. Nothing wrong with the Castrol although their oils lean toward the thick side with often with lower VI's so a change might help a little.

I am getting the best "cold" starts I've ever had with the top of the line Fram Extended Guards, and I'm pretty sure there will be a Motorcraft for your engine with a silicone ADBV as well, very good filter and value. My son's Chrysler with the 2.4 takes the Motorcraft FL-910S, great filter but not sure if it fits your Neon or not.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy

Why not a orange Fram? It will solve all your problems. It will add 50HP and make your car last 1 million miles!!

You could try a NAPA Gold or an OEM filter from Chrysler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back