2000 Chrysler neon oil recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 chrysler neon with 200 000Km on it.
I have been using 5W-30 Castrol regular oil in it from the time i bought it when it was at 100 000Km. the car didnt even come with an owners manual so i don't know what it should have anyways a friend told me it should be running 5W-30 because he also had a neon. so i run that oil type all year round.

A few years ago i noticed on cold mornings the engine bangs allot for a couple seconds after starting. I am guessing its the thick oil not getting up quick enough.

I was considering switching to synthetic but a person from another forum told me it might do more harm than good at that millage.

What would you guys recommend? Should i switch to synthetic?
or go to a lighter oil for the winter time?

I really like the information on this site and a lot of it sheds a lot of light on oils. I found it to be very helpful in understanding how oils work and the classification process.

So the question remains what to use?

Mobil 1 AFE 0w30.its available at walmarts for cheap. this should be good for super cold starts. also be sure you are using a decent filter as well, one containing a good ADBV (Anti-drain-back-valve)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Mobil 1 AFE 0w30.its available at walmarts for cheap. this should be good for super cold starts. also be sure you are using a decent filter as well, one containing a good ADBV (Anti-drain-back-valve)

+1

I use the Quaker state filters. After hearing all the bad stuff about fram!

Would 0W-30 still be thick enough for normal engine temperature?
I did read most of the oil analysis and it seems that it would but I'm new to this and definitely no no fluid engineer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back