2000 Beetle GLS oil grade..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

Hi. Just picked up a 2000 Beetle GLS with the 2.0 engine. The car has 50000km on it. Reading the manual, I notice that the factory oil weight is 5W40. I've also found on a vw forum www.newbeetle.org that the 2.0 has a tendency to be an oil burner. Maybe this is why VW spec a 40??

Anyway, should I stick to this weight or go lighter for the upcoming winter months? In my other cars, I usually run 0w30 GC for the winter, and switch to GTX 10W40 for the summer.

Cheers.

My mother has a 01 2slow. I been using Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40. It burns no oil at all.

If you want a middle-of-the-road oil that is somewhere between the 0W30 GC and the 10W40, I think its fairly safe to say you could run 0W40 Esso XD-3 year-round.

Far cheaper than GC, and available in more convenient 4L jugs as well from your local Esso bulk dealer. Best of both worlds; a true xW40 as well as the cold-start properties you like in the GC.

My mom has a 2001 Golf with the 2.0 engine and I put GC in it. The way I see it, most 5w40 oils will thin out to a 30wt anyhow, while GC holds it's viscosity. So in the end of a 5000 mile interval the GC could be the same or even a bit thicker than a 5w40. It's too soon to tell how her consumption is, since the oil has only been in the engine for around 1000km (she doesn't drive much)

rcy,

I drive a 99.5 model Jetta with the 2.0L. I run Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40. The engine loves it and burns no oil. Works just fine for me and comes in gallon bottles from WalMart for $12.84.

Cheers,
Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back