1 gallon burn off in 8,500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on my brothers 01 VW Beetle 2.0. I posted an UOA on this car in the past. He burned 2 quarts in a 9,000 mile OCI .He has been using Mobil 1 5W-40 for a couple of years now. He just called me and told me, he had burned through 4 quarts in his recent 8,5000 mile OCI. The car has 90,000 miles on it.

The VW 2.0 from years 2000-2005 is known oil burners. I told him he should just use $2.00 a quart dino oil. If it is burning that much now. The engine will always have fresh oil in the crankcase.

Here is the link to his 9,000 mile OCI.

2.slow OCI

sounds like defeating the purpose of an extended OCI. how much burn would there be in 5k miles?

Yes, please use whatever is cheapest in grade on this car. As I've said before, My SIL's 2000 Golf used 2.5 quarts in about 4k. Dealer said it was "normal."

You are giving some good advice, but if he is not strapped on cash, I would recommend you start off with some VW 502 oil in the sump and then top off with what quality oil you find on sale.

Mine oil situation is worse, but a previously neglected old Honda will do that....

I go through a quart every 1k, it still runs really well, the only way you would know it has 200k is by the odometer. I stick with the oil deals, I never buy anything for over 2.50 a quart, and I currently have a stash full of 15w40 Delvac, 5w20 GTX (for winter), and some PYB 10w40. all bought in the high 1 dollar low 2 dollar range.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Brenden
You are giving some good advice, but if he is not strapped on cash, I would recommend you start off with some VW 502 oil in the sump and then top off with what quality oil you find on sale.

Disagree, even if he is not strapped on cash. There's no reason to put any certified oil in an engine that's getting 8500 MPG on engine oil.

The 2.slow engine doesn't need any sort of special oil. Run whatever cheap 5w30 for 5k OCIs, keep the oil topped up and hope you pass emission tests. If your brother also lives in the mild part of Oregon, he could do a lot worse than Rotella T5 10w30 or whatever 5w30 is on sale that week.

Originally Posted By: scurvy

Disagree, even if he is not strapped on cash. There's no reason to put any certified oil in an engine that's getting 8500 MPG on engine oil.

Uhhhhh.... I take it he didn't proof read that post...

I was suggesting the VW 502 oil if he was actually going to stick with the 8k OCI, because a cheap dino probably won't hold up that long.

If he does go the cheap dino route he is going to have to lower his OCI

Last edited by a moderator:
He lives in Norcal. He could probably get away with a 15W-40 year round. All his driving is highway. I did suggest Rotella T5 10W-30 to him awhile back. I believe he put in Mobil 1 0W-40 this time. He stocked up when vatozone had their sale.

I was looking into Castrol High Mileage 10W-40. It is one of the thickest 40 weights out there, 16.1 @ 100c. Seeing that most high mileage oils are syn/blends now. He could still go up to 7,500 miles on a OCI.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag

I was looking into Castrol High Mileage 10W-40. It is one of the thickest 40 weights out there, 16.1 @ 100c. Seeing that most high mileage oils are syn/blends now. He could still go up to 7,500 miles on a OCI.

If he is going that route, he might as well go to K mart and stock up on their castrol 5w50 as they are phasing it out, it was 4 dollars a quart last time I was there a week or so ago, picked up 2 and blended it for my current oci, it has a 16.8 @ 100c IIRC.

This is on my brothers 01 VW Beetle 2.0. I posted an UOA on this car in the past. He burned 2 quarts in a 9,000 mile OCI .He has been using Mobil 1 5W-40 for a couple of years now. He just called me and told me, he had burned through 4 quarts in his recent 8,5000 mile OCI. The car has 90,000 miles on it.

The VW 2.0 from years 2000-2005 is known oil burners. I told him he should just use $2.00 a quart dino oil. If it is burning that much now. The engine will always have fresh oil in the crankcase.

2.slow OCI

The oil usage is not that bad. It's a half quart every 1125 miles. Had there been more frequent oil changes, then this issue would be labeled as normal usage.

That's why I change my name brand synthetics every 7K (75% highway driving) and no heavy pedaling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

2.slow OCI

The oil usage is not that bad. It's a half quart every 1125 miles. Had there been more frequent oil changes, then this issue would be labeled as normal usage.

That's why I change my name brand synthetics every 7K (75% highway driving) and no heavy pedaling.

To be clear, you are saying that an entire quart every 2250 is OK?

The 2.slow engine
doesn't need any sort of special oil. Run whatever cheap 5w30 for 5k OCIs, keep the oil topped up and hope you pass emission tests. If your brother also lives in the mild part of Oregon, he could do a lot worse than Rotella T5 10w30 or whatever 5w30 is on sale that week.

LMAO

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
To be clear, you are saying that an entire quart every 2250 is OK?

To be honest, if someone were doing the old school 3000 mile OCIs, such consumption would be barely noticeable. And that's coming from someone who has owned oil burners in the past and is really peeved by oil burning.
wink.gif

Has the PCV system been inspected or serviced recently?

I know when my A6 starts to burn oil, it's time to replace the spider hose PCV system. It stops the oil consumption immediately. I don't know much about the 2.0, but I'm guessing that it may have some of the same types of breather parts.

Yes, please use whatever is cheapest in grade on this car. As I've said before, My SIL's 2000 Golf used 2.5 quarts in about 4k. Dealer said it was "normal."

I would have told him that if that's truly the case, it's normal not to want to own another VW.

Originally Posted By: teddyboy

I would have told him that if that's truly the case, it's normal not to want to own another VW.

And luckily that was a leased vehicle. VW also covered 3 alternators and 2 batteries in the 3 years it was on her watch.

Uhhhhh.... I take it he didn't proof read that post...

I was suggesting the VW 502 oil if he was actually going to stick with the 8k OCI, because a cheap dino probably won't hold up that long.

If he does go the cheap dino route he is going to have to lower his OCI

That might be true if he wasnt changing out 4 quarts via the tailpipe during 8500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back