2000 Acura TL 6-spd MT Conversion Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,
One of the moderators on AcuraZine is converting his 2000 Acura TL-P from a 5-spd Automatic to a 6-spd Manual. He has 200,000 miles on the car, and is doing this because his 4th transmission just failed on him. The first three transmissions were of the “original” trouble-prone design, and the fourth one that failed was of the most-recent “updated” design that is now present on current Honda V6 engines. The fourth transmission failed as the Torque Converter lining plugged up the transmission internally.

He is purchasing a new 6-spd Manual transmission (from what I understand) and is using a low mileage “Type-S” engine from a TL. Total cost of the project will be between $3000-$4000.

Here are links:

Pictures

Discussion of the Project

quote:

Originally posted by kkreit01:
...and I thought Hondas were supposed to last forever w/o dropping a dime?

Honda seems to be like Ford in that they can't seem to build a decent automatic tranny, but they both have some very good manual units.

I'm not a big fan of GMs vehicles, but you can't argue the fact that they build some of the best, if not the best, automatic trannys out there.

Maybe Ford and Honda should just source GM automatics!?
grin.gif

>Maybe Ford and Honda should just source GM automatics!?

You think you're being funny, but reality is even stranger: 1) Ford and GM creating a new 6spd auto together and 2) GM putting Honda's V6 and AT in a Saturn.

And...

GM is using an Aisin Warner 5-spd Auto in the Equinox.

BMW now uses the GM 5L40E transmission in the E46 and a few other models.

Ford uses an Aisin Warner transmission in the Ford 500.

VW's new 6-spd Auto is from Aisin Warner.

Volvo uses Aisin Warner transmissions.

And Aisin Warner is owned partially by Toyota and all Toyota models use Aisin Warner units.

I knew Ford has tranny problems, but I didn't know about Honda. My brother has an 03 TL Type-S. I didn't read the article or link in the original post. I also think it's a lot of work for a car with 200K mi already. I'm assumiing the owner is an enthusiast, probably has lots of other mods, and drives the car to it's full potential...

The Ford 4R100 has been a good transmission in my 98 F150. 155,000 miles and it hasn't been touched other than fluid and filters.

Dont even get me started on 5 spd Auto problems. If I had a dollar for every one of those that I have replaced I would be.... well..... I'd have at least a couple hundred bucks.

quote:

Originally posted by kkreit01:
I knew Ford has tranny problems, but I didn't know about Honda. My brother has an 03 TL Type-S. I didn't read the article or link in the original post. I also think it's a lot of work for a car with 200K mi already. I'm assumiing the owner is an enthusiast, probably has lots of other mods, and drives the car to it's full potential...

A very close acquaintance had his second automatic transaxel replacement failing when he traded his 2000 Acura TL and it was still under (barely) power train warranty; and he babied his Acura!

Automatics mated to V6s are affected. Those mated to 4 cyls are as reliable as ever, AFAIK. What say you, Michael Wan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back