200,000 miles is in fact rare, only 1% of vehicles reach it

What really frustrates me about the 2014 focus in the house isn’t so much the craptastic transmission but the absolute trash manufacturing process that result in the rustiest car I’ve even seem. It just hit 100k but I think the rear end will fall off and the drivetrain will drop to the ground long before 200k. There’s so much rust!!

the bmw is at 245,500 miles, is almost old enough to have its own drivers license , and is rust free. The brake shields are gorilla glued up, but thats it. Everything is sealed very well or just nonferrous.

id like to find a southern focus with a manual.

I'm not going to read 8 pages of posts, but I call BS. There's far far more than 1%, but they don't go into whatever database/stats/whatever were used to make this statement.

I DIY everything I can, and nobody knows the miles I have.

That may be a large part of it, that if not totaled from an accident, it is totaled by shops trying to charge more for repairs than the owner deems the vehicle is worth. My oldest vehicle is in this category. Over the last 5 years, the repairs I've done, if done by a shop, would cost more than double the vehicle value.

Granted a significant % of those were rust-related (not bodywork), but if a shop (even if they are honest and frugal which is getting rarer these days) wants over $200 labor to replace a $50 part... yeah, there's some savings to be had, DIY.

Frankly it is the only thing that makes sense if you want to own a vehicle to 200K mi or longer. Unless they are all highway miles so easy ones.

Last edited:
What really frustrates me about the 2014 focus in the house isn’t so much the craptastic transmission but the absolute trash manufacturing process that result in the rustiest car I’ve even seem. It just hit 100k but I think the rear end will fall off and the drivetrain will drop to the ground long before 200k. There’s so much rust!!

the bmw is at 245,500 miles, is almost old enough to have its own drivers license , and is rust free. The brake shields are gorilla glued up, but thats it. Everything is sealed very well or just nonferrous.

I'd sell you my 2013 with 235k on it, (Southern Cal), but I wouldn't part with it, since it's probably the last manual I'll own.

Ford shot themselves in the foot with the "automatic." My engine is strong, but the evap system shows the same "engineering" as the auto... let the customer do the "beta testing." But, I'm guessing I'll get 400k out of it.

How...in the world...do you get a 335i to last that long?... Any major repairs? Stock or modded? Tough engines, but most are financially totaled by 150k due to high cost of repairs. I see plenty of 328 & 330 going for the half-million mile mark, but a 335i with almost a quarter million miles is a first for me... Share your secrets sensei.

Took the 2015 Civic to a 386500 finale and the Accord(s) are over 188,000 on the 2017 and one in garage (not showing) almost 500,000 2015 Accord

Attachments

• 20220729_093445.jpg
    20220729_093445.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220801_180132_HDR.jpg
    20220801_180132_HDR.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200930_182526302.jpg
    IMG_20200930_182526302.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200915_203307818.jpg
    IMG_20200915_203307818.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: JC1
Likely quite doable with 50 hp and a top speed of 60 mph?
Pretty close, no speed or hp just torque. It’s an E series cutaway chassis with a 7.3. Owner claimed original engine still. Funny thing is the two highest mileage vehicles I’ve ever seen were both E series vans, this cutaway and a passenger van that had 750k miles. That one was owned by a guy that shuttled members of the Amish community to their construction jobs sites.

I'm not going to read 8 pages of posts, but I call BS. There's far far more than 1%, but they don't go into whatever database/stats/whatever were used to make this statement.
Yep. Just about every used car when shopping for our kids. 187K miles. Easily more than 1%. In fact, I would not trust a source seriously claiming this.

I'm driving a 2015 Lexus RX350 with 195,000 miles on it. I hope to see +350k miles on it. I take very good care of it, 5-6k mile oil changes, I've dropped the transmission pan twice and drain/n/fill once, Did the plugs and rear coils at 165k, keep the rest of it maintained. Drives like new.

I have a 2014 Tundra that I bought new, has 160k miles on it. It doesn't get driven much now, but I still maintain it and drive it at least once a week. It's my "driveway" queen. Almost looks like new, it does drive like new. Never been to a shop for a repair, only struts, one transmission service and normal tires/wheel balancing.

We have a 2013 Lexus LX570 with 120k miles on it. It's not even broken in yet. That thing will get up and go. It is a pleasure to drive, everything screams heavy duty extreme quality. Just did the plugs on it and they all looked exactly alike and perfect. Dropped the trans pan twice, recently drained and filled the front, rear and center diffs with Ravenol German Gear Oil. Keep the oil changed at 5k miles. I do need to flush the AHC fluid....

My Daughter drives a 2008 Honda CR-V I bought her this year, 170k miles on it. I will say it's the worst condition car we have but I feel it will make it well past 200k.

I do all the service/repair/maintenance on these.

Does anyone see a trend here? NO GM, NO FORD, NO Chrysler, NO Euro, NO Mazda, Nissan, etc. At some point, you either figure out that you need to buy high quality, well-known durable goods or you keep putting yourself in the poorhouse trying to win the lottery buying junk.

When someone is just putting around town for a decade + without many long trips or long commutes, there's a lot more wear on the vehicles than what the mileage would ever show. It takes a really long time to hit 200K miles driving less than 10 miles a day.

They probably shouldn't be buying new cars or anything close to new. I bet most of these are 55+ drivers. I understand the indoctrination that has gone on for 40-50 years that you need a new car for it to be dependable, but that's simply not true. It's a shame people didn't learn/teach themselves differently through those years.

I'm driving a 2015 Lexus RX350 with 195,000 miles on it. I hope to see +350k miles on it. I take very good care of it, 5-6k mile oil changes, I've dropped the transmission pan twice and drain/n/fill once, Did the plugs and rear coils at 165k, keep the rest of it maintained. Drives like new.

I have a 2014 Tundra that I bought new, has 160k miles on it. It doesn't get driven much now, but I still maintain it and drive it at least once a week. It's my "driveway" queen. Almost looks like new, it does drive like new. Never been to a shop for a repair, only struts, one transmission service and normal tires/wheel balancing.

We have a 2013 Lexus LX570 with 120k miles on it. It's not even broken in yet. That thing will get up and go. It is a pleasure to drive, everything screams heavy duty extreme quality. Just did the plugs on it and they all looked exactly alike and perfect. Dropped the trans pan twice, recently drained and filled the front, rear and center diffs with Ravenol German Gear Oil. Keep the oil changed at 5k miles. I do need to flush the AHC fluid....

My Daughter drives a 2008 Honda CR-V I bought her this year, 170k miles on it. I will say it's the worst condition car we have but I feel it will make it well past 200k.

I do all the service/repair/maintenance on these.

Does anyone see a trend here? NO GM, NO FORD, NO Chrysler, NO Euro, NO Mazda, Nissan, etc. At some point, you either figure out that you need to buy high quality, well-known durable goods or you keep putting yourself in the poorhouse trying to win the lottery buying junk.
IMBHO Lexus is a bit much unless you just have to have 'luxury' performance. I will leave the luxury to those that are older and need a softer ride, lmao. I also don't care for Acura or Infinity based on that as the cars look too refined/soft. Not much for Toyota either as I've seen a few family members having rather annoying issues with them. Every brand will have positives/negatives though and no single brand is clearly any better than the rest. Cars are like food and most things in life... totally subjective.

:oops: Just :oops: ! I’m sure the Hillbilly Deluxe comes with fries and a large Mountain Dew!

IMBHO Lexus is a bit much unless you just have to have 'luxury' performance. I will leave the luxury to those that are older and need a softer ride, lmao. I also don't care for Acura or Infinity based on that as the cars look too refined/soft. Not much for Toyota either as I've seen a few family members having rather annoying issues with them. Every brand will have positives/negatives though and no single brand is clearly any better than the rest. Cars are like food and most things in life... totally subjective.
Lexus is a bit much? The two Lexus vehicles we own were bought used and well out of the mileage/age range all the "wanna-bees" would even look at one. I bought the RX350 at 6 years old with 162k miles on it. I bought the LX570 at 8 years old with 109k miles on it. The typical new Lexus buyer thinks they are "old and worn out". If these were "Big 3", they'd barely be making it down the road. As I said, I expect 350k+ miles out of the RX350 and the LX570 is basically a lifetime vehicle. Built to last more than 500k miles with very few repairs.

I do all my own work. If you call replacing an OEM radiator in an LX570 for $325 an annoying issue, then maybe cars aren't for you. That's the only repair that's been done on my LX570. I think the PO of the RX had one cam position sensor replaced. Other than that, it's been maintenance.

My Tundra has never had a repair, only maintenance. These things are fairly easy to work on. Parts are fair, even OEM.

Every brand will have positives/negatives though and no single brand is clearly any better than the rest. Cars are like food and most things in life... totally subjective.
+1. I've driven 4 Chrysler cars for 350k+ each, and now my Ford Focus (manual, not the DCT) with 235k+, and I put more work into my VW Bug that I drove in college in the early 70's (and put 200k on it) than I have on any of my other cars.

Maybe this post is paid for by the automotive manufacturers. By keeping the less educated scared that 200k means the car self destructs and people don't want to be on the hook for big repairs they keep customers in the showrooms?

How...in the world...do you get a 335i to last that long?... Any major repairs? Stock or modded? Tough engines, but most are financially totaled by 150k due to high cost of repairs. I see plenty of 328 & 330 going for the half-million mile mark, but a 335i with almost a quarter million miles is a first for me... Share your secrets sensei.
Stock! I do mostly all my own repairs but frankly, there haven’t been that many. Lots and lots of oil leaks when I bought it 8 years ago. Turbos were done at 20k for rattling so I’m impressed that they’ve lasted 220k. Same water pump and hpfp for over 100k. It burns a quart of oil over a 8000 oci.

I do have a boost leak somewhere and the evap is throwing codes. There’s work to do. and I need yet another set of control arms, they don’t last more than 18 months around here. if I could find a deal on a blue diesel wagon with cold weather, sport, and technology packages id go for it.

Back