200,000 miles is in fact rare, only 1% of vehicles reach it

I took both of my vehicles over 200K miles mark; 02 Corolla LE and 08 Mazda6i; both, I passed them along to the other people in very good condition

both Hondas in my signature are capable of doing the same likely

And every time a gm truck over 200k needs a transmission rebuild, it's "typical gm junk". Even if it was used for towing and or had no maintenance. This place has lot of opinionated, inexperienced (well they have their own experience, like their neighbors and neighbors brother, etc) not experience working in the auto industry. Maybe the newest GM trucks aren't so good, but this opinion went on for years back when the 99-07 gm truck was being built and they're one of the best you can get for a cheap work truck.
Agreed.

One area was GM uses steel check balls, Ford I believe uses Torlon. Can't speak for all the transmissions, but the 4L60E can benefit from a seperator plate at about the 150K mark, to keep the check balls from pounding through the plate resulting in pressure loss. Couple that with new accumulator pistons to be safe, vette servo, and TCC PWM eliminator mod they will keep going.

Not trying to jinx mine but at 316K it's still going in the Envoy. About due for another plate.

You can keep a car forever if you want to keep throwing money at it. My '02 for explorer has about 240k on it and the way I look at it is. only a major motor or trans failure would make me get rid of it. A simple repair will generally cost less then a bunch of monthly car payments.,,,
2001 V6 Accord Coupe here, about to turn 200K. Keeping it until a major failure happens. Car payments suck!

2002 Tahoe at 204K with untouched engine, transmission, and transfer case.

Now... I am about to rebuild said transfer case because it's a little clunky, but it works fine.

And I'm going to put in a rebuilt transmission when I do because I need a new rear main seal. The trans is a little wonky from 2-3 -- but drives totally fine.

I'm proud of it.

2002 Tahoe at 204K with untouched engine, transmission, and transfer case.

Now... I am about to rebuild said transfer case because it's a little clunky, but it works fine.

And I'm going to put in a rebuilt transmission when I do because I need a new rear main seal. The trans is a little wonky from 2-3 -- but drives totally fine.

I'm proud of it.
When does the transfer case clunk? Mine clunked for years when pulling away from a stop, before and after changing the original fluid with fresh auto trak fluid.
This time I used Valvoline that was "recommended for autotrak 2 applications" and the clunking stopped. That was a couple months ago. Still no clunk (knock on wood).

Once the average car gets over 10 or 12 years old the high cost of collision repair means that only very minimal body damage will not result in the car being a complete write off. Combine that with rust and I'd say the vast majority of cars in junkyards in the north have less than 200k on perfectly good drivetrains.

I'm not surprised at this statistic really. Girlfriend-now-wife had her car (06 Forenza) fail just shy of 200,000 miles as she was finishing grad school. Timing component failed on it, they had been changed recently. Shortly after we found her a '13 Elantra GT hatch for a good price. For a minimal investment and less than 10 years newer, we gained:

Heated seats
much better MPG
Push to start
Keyless entry
More power
Significantly better NVH
Bluetooth/Handsfree
Safety improvements
Timing chain engine

It was such an improvement, it makes me rethink my concept of when to move on from a car. Once a significantly newer car with better features is available on the secondhand market for very little outlay, why wouldn't you sell and upgrade? I'd be hesitant to take any car to 2-300k now when people are trying to get rid of their cars with 100k every day all the time.

I really thought that more than 1% of vehicles reached 200K miles in their lifetime. I guess the good folks here at BITOG really understand how to maintain a vehicle properly. I'd guess we exceed the norm here.

From the Autoweek article, the top 16 vehicles that achieve 200K miles:

Quote "Granted, very few cars, trucks or SUVs clear 200,000 miles in their lifetimes. The average for all vehicles is just one percent of them ever reach the 200k mark"

What I find interesting is that the article also lists the percentage of each model of vehicle that reach the 200K goal. Toyota is very well represented in the top tier. With the Toyota Land Cruiser taking the lead followed by the Toyota Sequoia. Then the Suburban and a Ford, and more Toyotas.
I would have thought the percentage would have been very much higher.

I really thought that more than 1% of vehicles reached 200K miles in their lifetime. I guess the good folks here at BITOG really understand how to maintain a vehicle properly. I'd guess we exceed the norm here.

From the Autoweek article, the top 16 vehicles that achieve 200K miles:

Quote "Granted, very few cars, trucks or SUVs clear 200,000 miles in their lifetimes. The average for all vehicles is just one percent of them ever reach the 200k mark"

What I find interesting is that the article also lists the percentage of each model of vehicle that reach the 200K goal. Toyota is very well represented in the top tier. With the Toyota Land Cruiser taking the lead followed by the Toyota Sequoia. Then the Suburban and a Ford, and more Toyotas.
I'm wondering what the average mileage a typical semi tractor (including ones used for long haul and local delivery) in the US accumulates before it is considered used up, or beyond economical repair to keep on the road.

This research indicates 1% of traded in vehicles have less than 200k miles, not that 1% of vehicles have less than 200k miles.
Almost a meaningless statistic. I imagine a dealer offers peanuts for a 200K vehicle.
Could probably sell it for double on Craigslist in a week.

The headline is misleading at best; stupid BS is more like it.

I'm wondering what the average mileage a typical semi tractor (including ones used for long haul and local delivery) in the US accumulates before it is considered used up, or beyond economical repair to keep on the road.
My dad has a Freightliner with a million and a half miles on it it. Been rebuilt once these things will go forever. Haven’t hardly had to anything to it at all. It’s a 2000 model now they are all loaded down with emissions stuff so companies often sell them sooner.

Almost a meaningless statistic. I imagine a dealer offers peanuts for a 200K vehicle.
Could probably sell it for double on Craigslist in a week.

The headline is misleading at best; stupid BS is more like it.
At first I though it was a Jalopnik article. :LOL:

trucks are the ship of theseus, everything gets replaced. we had a 90s volvo with 2.5+ million that would show every couple of months with another annoying wiring fault.

one day a driver smashed that turd into a ditch. my boss told me to grab a torch and cut it into pieces, best day at my job.

This research indicates 1% of traded in vehicles have less than 200k miles, not that 1% of vehicles have less than 200k miles.
Which makes perfect sense. When we bought the Tiguan the dealer asked if we had a trade-in, I said no as to avoid the ensuing laughter. But we did discuss my old cars (especially the Sienna with nearly 450k) and they were interested in talking about it. Not to be confused with making an offer however.

Which makes perfect sense. When we bought the Tiguan the dealer asked if we had a trade-in, I said no as to avoid the ensuing laughter. But we did discuss my old cars (especially the Sienna with nearly 450k) and they were interested in talking about it. Not to be confused with making an offer however.
Also, people often trade in cars they still have a loan on. More expensive ars are harder for an individual to sell on their own.
I struggle with the heading of the article. You cannot connect the heading with the data.

Back