200,000 miles is in fact rare, only 1% of vehicles reach it

Says the data was gathered on 11.8 million trade ins.
What about the regular ole Joe beating up and down the road everyday in his 250K miler ?🤔
There’s plenty of guys posting here that have high mileage cars and trucks that’s not included in this info. I’d bet the numbers are higher than what’s reported
Agree...data set is misleading -- where are all the Crown Victorias, Mercury GMs, Cherokees, Accords, Civics, and Rav4s etc?

Agree...data set is misleading -- where are all the Crown Victorias, Mercury GMs, Cherokees, Accords, Civics, and Rav4s etc?
Just to set another point in this mix
I have a co-worker who only drives older vehicles
Doesn’t matter what brand he could care less....he’ll buy a car with 200K miles drive it a year and sell it.......he just sold today a 2000 GMC 1500 pickup with 280K miles..truckruns great
Sold it for $2700 bucks
I bet you that a trade in deal would have been under $1,000 If that much.
Just saying !!👍

My 97 Explorer may have been a part of their sample since it was traded in at a Dodge/Jeep/RAM dealer in 2020, I think in April or May. It had 216k when I bought it in late October from a wholesaler with the auction stickers still on the windshield, now it has 221k.

That said, it is just one of many vehicles I've seen with well in excess of 200k, and many of those would not show up in their sample. My 94 Explorer was a daily driver when totaled at 257k miles, and was last traded in at a new car dealer in 2009-10. A relative's 93 Explorer went to over 300k before the engine was ruined by driving on a flooded road. It had not been sold through a dealer since the 90s. There's multiple Silverados and Sierras at work with 200-500k that we've had from new or less than 100k. 200k+ just isn't uncommon anymore. There's no way only 1% of vehicles get there.

I’m sure rust gets many northern cars before the drivetrains are worn out.

IMO that’s a big part of it. Take a person who doesn’t drive much, like say 8-10k miles per year, and it would take 20+ years to get there. How many anything’s to people still have after 20 years.

Then add that cars depreciate, need repairs, and those buying cars in the secondary market, especially higher mileage versions, are generally less able to keep them up and repair them, and then it’s all a glide slope to destruction from there.

That said, I’m doing my part driving and keeping up a truck with almost 441k miles on it... and 25 years old...

I worked at a Ford dealer and a gm dealer, and Saturn then an independent for a few years. I've seen plenty of transmission failures, on all brands. Especially Ford though. Saturn had the worst one with one of the first CVT transmissions on the Saturn vue. Most other Saturn's had decent transmissions.

My parents had a 95 Windstar blow it's transmission shortly after the head gasket replacement, so I was salty towards them. Especially when I went to work at Ford soon after and saw lots more Windstar transmission failures.
Mine was an Aura XE with I believe a 5spd. Car was such a giant turd. Back window was bubbling up at 70k making it near impossible to see out of, at 75k the cat began to clog and by 85k had completely restricted the exhaust, front speakers never did work on the radio, and as soon as I replaced the $900 cat about 1000 miles in I was driving and heard a loud CLUNK CLUNK KABOOM. Trans was so done it wouldn't even move. When the car was working right it could barely get out of its own way. I was pretty car illiterate back then but I bet if I knew more I'd have looked and seen a nice window in the trans case.

Mine was an Aura XE with I believe a 5spd. Car was such a giant turd. Back window was bubbling up at 70k making it near impossible to see out of, at 75k the cat began to clog and by 85k had completely restricted the exhaust, front speakers never did work on the radio, and as soon as I replaced the $900 cat about 1000 miles in I was driving and heard a loud CLUNK CLUNK KABOOM. Trans was so done it wouldn't even move. When the car was working right it could barely get out of its own way. I was pretty car illiterate back then but I bet if I knew more I'd have looked and seen a nice window in the trans case.
Those cars just came out when I left. I feel like they were a last ditch effort and Saturn was going to be gone soon anyway. The techs all thought they appeared very under built. The similar Pontiac G6 was also a downgrade compared to the grand am/alero it replaced.
Like I said, all brands make some real piles.
I'm not planning on buying anything new but if I did it would likely be something people consider very outdated like a 4 Runner. I like the idea of not fixing what isn't broke.

What your viewing here are vehicles that have +200k and are still worth money, very rare air.

Wow. Almost every one of my father's vehicles got to 200K. They were typically crown vic, or GM work van. GM work van 3-500K, crown vic, they die at 220-250K with the 4.6L, about 20-40K less with the 5.0 pushrod.
My late lamented W126, the '86 MB 420SEL, was at 198K when it was totaled while parked. And it could have done that remaining 2000, and a lot more, without any trouble. Of course, it was from the era when MB built cars to last.

Okay, I think a lot of you guys are failing to realize other factors at play here. A lot of the vehicles missing from the list are known to have a strong following and are always in high demand in the used market. The Accord, RAV4, and Cherokee (assuming older generations) are used car icons. You will get a lot more money selling them your own as opposed to using dealer trade in. People know if they have an in demand used car, and the used car market prices reflect that.

Now, if you have a 2005 Ford Taurus for example, that virtually nobody wants in the secondhand market, you’re best just trading it at the dealership and negotiating as much as possible for it.

Many cars are worth a lot more selling privately than what the dealer will offer on trade in.

Okay, I think a lot of you guys are failing to realize other factors at play here. A lot of the vehicles missing from the list are known to have a strong following and are always in high demand in the used market. The Accord, RAV4, and Cherokee (assuming older generations) are used car icons. You will get a lot more money selling them your own as opposed to using dealer trade in. People know if they have an in demand used car, and the used car market prices reflect that.

Now, if you have a 2005 Ford Taurus for example, that virtually nobody wants in the secondhand market, you’re best just trading it at the dealership and negotiating as much as possible for it.

Many cars are worth a lot more selling privately than what the dealer will offer on trade in.
Which is why the entire premise of the title is bogus.

Down here where rust isn't a factor, there are tons of 200K+ mile cars on the road. I've serviced or repaired stuff with over 400,000 miles and seen thousands with 200-300K. Practically any junkyard here, you'll see lots of cars with 200-300K.

Based on trade-ins, that's probably accurate. I think the real number is more than 1% though probably still not high. I've always figured ~5% will reach 200k miles.

Exactly. You don't trade in a 200k scrap for $80, you sell them private party or export them to 3rd world.

My Dad used them for work. They tended to go 220-250K miles, and usually began burning oil at the 180K mark or so. Transmissions, they ate like candy. Usually go through 2-3 during that 220-250K. The rest? Held up really well. Diffs didn't die. Suspension didn't die, although they rattled and creaked like crazy due to the body on frame construction as the miles racked up. Shocks and struts made a big difference if you put some decent ones on. Air conditioner compressors liked to die. Alternators needed a replacement or two. Overall it was an interesting cross-section between "old school simple" and "new and more complex" that held up reasonably well.
By most drivers' definition this "ate transmissions like candy" business means they do not go 220-250k miles.

One percent of licensed vehicles on the road is in the neighborhood of 2.5 million...so when a person hits 200+ thousand miles and sells it to their buddy and they drive it for a couple years, and sell it to someone else...that’s one vehicle that hit 200+ thousand miles, not three.

So IDK, 2% would be like 5 million vehicles?

Back