20" Truck tires: Sierra 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
But it wont actually be 1.5’ wider on the same 9” wide wheel. Section width 10.7 on 8 wide wheel=wider actual section width. 305 section width measured on 9.5" wheel is 12.4. Since the wheel is narrower for 305 that 12.4 will be slightly smaller too. So they should be closer in width than the specs bear out.

Last edited:
275/60/20s will fit w/o rubbing, but there are only a few decent tires in that size like the Nitto EXO for example. Another option is 285/55/20, because it's wider just barely clears, where a 295/55/20 like the 305/55/20 will rub at full crank.
Going to a wider and wider tire without a corresponding increase in wheel width is moot. I think a 285 is as wide as you should go with a 20X9" wheel.
295s should be on at least a 9.5" and 305s on 10-11 inch wide wheel.

Originally Posted by dareo
But it wont actually be 1.5� wider on the same 9� wide wheel. Section width 10.7 on 8 wide wheel=wider actual section width. 305 section width measured on 9.5" wheel is 12.4. Since the wheel is narrower for 305 that 12.4 will be slightly smaller too. So they should be closer in width than the specs bear out.

Trust me, they will rub. Go to some of the Silverado/Sierra forums and do a search.

Big tires on small wheels, like a 305/55/20 tire on an 8.5X20" wheel, won't give you the performance you are looking for and the tire will wear out prematurely.
I would go down in tire size, and/or up in wheel width. Such as a Nitto EXO 295/55/20 on a 20X10" wheel.

Well, they won't be rubbing. Decided to give back to the US economy and buy a 6" BDS lift kit (usa made) have it installed at a local small business and go with some 35 12.50 20 Michelins (USA again.)

I was less than thrilled about the 20"s that came on our new F150, an XL work-spec truck. I asked them to swap it with another which had 18"s on it, and they told me they won't do it any longer because the start to collect a bunch of tires and wheels they can't do anything with. That said, with a trailer back there, the relatively low-pro tires track very, very nicely.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Sounds like the recipe for a sausage fest.

Not exactly. [Linked Image]

it gives me great ground clearance, and total step in height is still very reasonable. The fox dampers just soak up bumps, speed bumps, anything really. It remains super quiet. The sidewalls are taller than curbs, so scratching these new take off OE wheels won't happen. The tire is closer to a 34" in real life but plenty big. Total lift as configured was 4.5" rear, and 5" front. This was a no compromises upgrade, other than the cost.

Looks like the max trailer tow package. If so, that is a better platform for a lifted and/or off-road truck than starting off with the Z-71 suspension.

It is indeed the hard to find NHT max trailer package and the 6.2 engine. It was also high mileage and low priced so even better to take exploring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back