20,000 miles in a CX-5 GT-R

Originally Posted by drtyler
Actually Toyota Sienna must be pinnacle, if its worth trading an X5 for!

Of course, we now have Mazda 6 (2.5 turbo) instead of GTI due to wreck, and the Mazda is impressive for the price. The fit and finish of the Mazda interior is excellent, as is the ride. It doesn't handle as well as the GTI, but that is to be expected. The non-turbo 2.5 was quite weak, but the 2.5 turbo is suitable.

Audi A4 Quattro (new) was the most unimpressive car we tested, especially for price. Interior was nice enough, but it just didn't scream $50k car at all.

CPO 430i Gran Coupe was 2nd favorite, but the Mazda interior and seats were better. Mazda also has a spare tire, which is a big plus. Yes, spare can be added to 430i trunk, but then there is little room left. I had to add spare tire to my E90 sedan, and it takes up a fair amount of trunk space.

I got Sienna due to space. Actually does what is made for really good. The X5 is just small for what we need.
In terms of quality, dynamics etc. Sienna is absolute POS of a vehicle.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by edyvw

No I do not have different criteria. First of all, my criteria is that I would buy CPO BMW X5 for 45K not friggin Mazda.
Of course your money, you can spend it however you want. As I said, in that class, RAV4, CR-V, it is better vehicle for sure.

Yeah, and I have zero desire to own an X5, or, like you note...they're available within my budget. Performance is identical to my CX5 for turning, stopping, accelerating. MPG is worse. Reliability is far worse. It is roughly 1dB quieter inside at 70mph, so that is appealing, but not a massive margin, still there, though. The only creature comfort it has that I think would be cool are the massage seats, presuming it has those in some trim levels? I didn't see them, but I think they might be available? I just see zero appeal to the X5 unless I needed a larger vehicle with a 3rd row, and then, I'd buy a Lexus 570 or similar, because by the time you go 3rd row, it's not about corners and the like in the slightest (As this scathing review below of the X5's handling proves). (This is comparing to the 35i X-drive, not the M, which you won't be finding for $45K cert. pre-owned in recent production, nor would I want to pay out the nose to keep the beast on the road once purchased.).

https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/files/bmwx5xdrive35i2018-1526332221.pdf
https://hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/files/mazdacx-5awdsignatureltinitial2019-1556132462.pdf

Nothing about the X5 except size/capacity seems better "by the numbers" or "by driving impression". It does have a 3rd row option, if size of cargo is of import. Otherwise? Nothing for me. NAV screen is much larger, if that's a selling point? But it lacks HUD, which matters more to me.

Although we don't expect any three-row luxury SUV to be a corner scorcher, we do expect BMWs to be among the best to drive in any given class. The X5 is far from that. It exhibits sloppy body control and lifeless steering, as well as unrefined ride quality over rough surfaces (the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Run Flat tires might be to blame for some of the impact harshness, but non-run-flat tires aren't available).

Why would I want that in my life?
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a20159288/2018-bmw-x5-xdrive35i-instrumented-test/

It's glaringly obvious. You only care about image and brand. Some of us care about product not label. Like I said, your priorities are not mine.

LOL, dude, you are driving pimped up RAV4, get a grip.

Our van has "performance" suspension. It's driving dynamics are still that of a minivan
lol.gif

If you say so, lol! You drive a Tiguan though, so I have to presume that your "picker" is broken, as the single girls at work say to each other.

PS. Isn't any CUV "a pimped up RAV4"? Some are just faster and handle better than others.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

If you say so, lol! You drive a Tiguan though, so I have to presume that your "picker" is broken, as the single girls at work say to each other.

PS. Isn't any CUV "a pimped up RAV4"? Some are just faster and handle better than others.
wink.gif

I know I am driving Tiguan. I know where it belongs. I drive Sienna too, ultimate soccer mom car. The thing is, I am not bothered that other neighbors own Tesla, BMW, Mercedes (and AMG of all things).
If you continue like this, your neighbor with AMG might as for restraining order.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Our van has "performance" suspension. It's driving dynamics are still that of a minivan
lol.gif

The sad thing, Camry is not any better
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

wink.gif

I know I am driving Tiguan. I know where it belongs. I drive Sienna too, ultimate soccer mom car. The thing is, I am not bothered that other neighbors own Tesla, BMW, Mercedes (and AMG of all things).
If you continue like this, your neighbor with AMG might as for restraining order.

Why would you opine that my neighbor's vehicle choice "bothers" me? I could have g one out and bought his twinsie, lol! I didn't for a reason. It doesn't fit my uses, and within that constraint, it's not quite as nice inside, lacking a few key features I want, and being louder on the freeway, etc.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Toyota makes some sporty driving sedans these days.

Funniest thing I have read today.
Few days ago I saw brakes on new Camry V6. It reminded me of FIAT Tipo from 1990's.

Few days ago I saw brakes on new Camry V6. It reminded me of FIAT Tipo from 1990's.

They are making a TRD version. Dunno what that entails though.

Originally Posted by Ws6

TuRD.

Originally Posted by Ws6

TL;DR version: they made chassis and suspension improvements, but left the engine and more importantly transmission alone which MotorTrend said sucked all the fun out of it.

At least they're trying... I look at it and don't immediately yawn at least... although it's really hard to mess up a red and black aesthetic
21.gif

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyota/camry/2020/2020-toyota-camry-trd-first-drive-review/

Originally Posted by Ws6

Stickers and badging.

Originally Posted by Ws6

TuRD.
I experienced a Camry TRD today, and it looked alright, but no way would I buy a sedan with sporting intent that is barely quicker than a CX5, lol! Weakest 301hp/8 speed on the planet. It was faster than the V6 charger I saw, though, by a notable margin, so there's also that I guess.

I am at 46K miles, now, and nothing further other than routine maintenance (The folding mirrors both failing at low mileage has not repeated, nor have they shown any weakness. I think it was a bad initial batch), although the front rotors have developed some warp to them by now. This happened in my 370Z, as well as my Jeep, and other cars. It's due to over-torquing of the lug nuts. I've been riding on CrossContact LX25's since 17K miles, and they still have 6/32 left (the "S" in DWS still shows up prominently). Lifetime mpg average is 26.8 and climbing. The vehicle continues to do everything I ask of it without qualm, and even though every day entails rough gravel drive-way for roughly 1 mile, coming and 1 mile going, it has not developed any rattles or squeaks. Carved from billet. I still can't think of an SUV that would fit the bill better than this one, and 1.5 years in, I plan so far on keeping it until it becomes a financial/reliability liability and then will go PEV if their ranges are 600+mi.

Attachments

• 20190327_070031 (1).jpg
    20190327_070031 (1).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I experienced a Camry TRD today, and it looked alright, but no way would I buy a sedan with sporting intent that is barely quicker than a CX5, lol! Weakest 301hp/8 speed on the planet. It was faster than the V6 charger I saw, though, by a notable margin, so there's also that I guess.

I am at 46K miles, now, and nothing further other than routine maintenance (The folding mirrors both failing at low mileage has not repeated, nor have they shown any weakness. I think it was a bad initial batch), although the front rotors have developed some warp to them by now. This happened in my 370Z, as well as my Jeep, and other cars. It's due to over-torquing of the lug nuts. I've been riding on CrossContact LX25's since 17K miles, and they still have 6/32 left (the "S" in DWS still shows up prominently). Lifetime mpg average is 26.8 and climbing. The vehicle continues to do everything I ask of it without qualm, and even though every day entails rough gravel drive-way for roughly 1 mile, coming and 1 mile going, it has not developed any rattles or squeaks. Carved from billet. I still can't think of an SUV that would fit the bill better than this one, and 1.5 years in, I plan so far on keeping it until it becomes a financial/reliability liability and then will go PEV if their ranges are 600+mi.
That engine is mediocre, very narrow torque range at high rpms.
But, that is not the biggest issue, nor transmission that is lazy, it is suspension, it is very heavy front end etc. Mazda Miata is not the fastest vehicle on the road, but it might be one of the most fun to drive.

That engine is mediocre, very narrow torque range at high rpms.
But, that is not the biggest issue, nor transmission that is lazy, it is suspension, it is very heavy front end etc. Mazda Miata is not the fastest vehicle on the road, but it might be one of the most fun to drive.
I'm just not a miata fan. I like the brz/frs. Miata too wallowy for me. Entirely opinion, that, and I know it's an awesome car, just prefer the "mini vette" feel over it.

I’m trying to talk my parents into a CX-5, but they seem to be stuck on the CX-30... love the color!

Regarding the 545RFE, I hated that transmission. I still hate that transmission with a passion and it’s been 2 years since I’ve driven a vehicle with it. Sorry, had to vent lol

Reactions: Ws6
I’m trying to talk my parents into a CX-5, but they seem to be stuck on the CX-30... love the color!

Regarding the 545RFE, I hated that transmission. I still hate that transmission with a passion and it’s been 2 years since I’ve driven a vehicle with it. Sorry, had to vent lol
Haha! The 545rfe in my Jeep was fine, just annoying in how it used the tq converter like another gear, and how it leaked all the time.

Cx30 is nice, just too small and a lot slower. Get them to drive the cx5 GTR or Sg model and then they will have a fair assessment of the lineup.

Haha! The 545rfe in my Jeep was fine, just annoying in how it used the tq converter like another gear, and how it leaked all the time.

Cx30 is nice, just too small and a lot slower. Get them to drive the cx5 GTR or Sg model and then they will have a fair assessment of the lineup.

Not everyone wants a speedy car to drive like you.

Back