2 VOA’s should there be more consistency?

This is the same oil but from two different batches. Seems to vary quite a bit to me.
Both are supposed to be a 5w30 blend. 4DBB6F1C-7FF4-4B5E-841A-11CAB6AC6CB5.jpeg3067C68B-721A-467E-8775-AC3FB49E357F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand the large TBN discrepancy given the Ca/Mg difference is so small.
Other than that you might think the viscosity would be controlled a bit tighter, but its fine.
This does not appear to be a recycled lubricant given the very low wear metals evidenced.
Is this a bulk jobber lube? Brand?

Last edited:
The elements are all in a reasonable margin of error at +/- 5% but magnesium, which is around 9.5%.

The swing in TBN is weird, the second sample seems lower than expected. I would recommend calling to retest.

Not a big deal imo as the amount of additives tend to revolve around maximums rather than minimums for the applicable rating.

They are both Cam2 from separate 55gal drums. Both have the same product code. The reason I sampled is because while using I noticed that the oil smelled odd. It had a fuel smell to it. I describe it as if they used up a drum of gasoline and refilled it with hydraulic oil. Not like motor oil at all. I opened another drum of this product and it smelled normal. So I sent samples of both and this is what came back.

How old are the drums? Maybe call the manufacturer and describe your observations to see what they say.
They have requested a sample and batch numbers. According to the tracking number they received it on the 24th last week. No works yet. I’m convinced it’s hydraulic oil. Both drums are from 2021 and are rated SP.

They are both Cam2 from separate 55gal drums. Both have the same product code. The reason I sampled is because while using I noticed that the oil smelled odd. It had a fuel smell to it. I describe it as if they used up a drum of gasoline and refilled it with hydraulic oil. Not like motor oil at all. I opened another drum of this product and it smelled normal. So I sent samples of both and this is what came back.
Was the smelly one the one that showed a lower KV100 and KV40 viscosity ? Looking at the results again the "thinner" lube has passable DP where the thicker one is marginal. So If you suspect oil contamination it would have been with a high viscosity fluid.

Was the smelly one the one that showed a lower KV100 and KV40 viscosity ? Looking at the results again the "thinner" lube has passable DP where the thicker one is marginal. So If you suspect oil contamination it would have been with a high viscosity fluid.
Yes, if you look at the lower left corner of the analysis you can see the lower viscosity sample labeled Cam2 and the higher one labeled unknown. I agree the higher sample isn’t correct.

They have requested a sample and batch numbers. According to the tracking number they received it on the 24th last week. No works yet. I’m convinced it’s hydraulic oil. Both drums are from 2021 and are rated SP.

Yeah I'd bet you are right man....

One drum had to have something else in it before maybe the motor oil was put in it.

I believe hydraulic oil does not have high levels of additives like motor oil though.

Both these samples are of motor oil.

This is Cam2 Superpromax 5w30 semi synthetic blend oil.

Both of these oils have roughly the same levels of molybdenum, boron levels, calcium, and magnesium levels are all close the test done by PQIA.

Last edited:
They came back and said that even though both drums test different and have different viscosity levels, they both fall within their specs and are suitable for sale and use. They pulled the results from the batch sample at the time of blending and saw they match so they are ok with the difference.

Back