2 Ultras cut open w/pic

Both are Fram Ultra XG10575 and came off of my 07 Yukon w/gasoline 6.2L w/180K miles

Top filter was installed 3/21 and removed 3/22. 6,400 miles on filter & oil, Kirkland 5w-30.

Bottom filter was installed 3/22 and removed 9/22. 6,235 miles on oil & filter, Amsoil ASM 0w-20.

Notice the carbon in the bottom of the top filter pleats and not in the bottom filter? and the different media color? I know the Ultra changed a while back.

What say you?
DSCN0463.JPG

What's the carbon deposits in the first filter from? Did you use any kind of engine cleaner on that run? Wouldn't think it gets that cold in TX to be short trip carbon in very cold weather.

What's the carbon deposits in the first filter from? Did you use any kind of engine cleaner on that run? Wouldn't think it gets that cold in TX to be short trip carbon in very cold weather.
No cold short trips during either of these oci, even though we do have a place in the CO mtns. But the vehicle hasn't been there for a few winters. And when we go in the winter its only there for a week or two.

Yes, I did try a product called "PolyDyn TX7" for that 3/21 to 3/22 oci. Its not known as an engine cleaner and that wasn't why I used it. The oil analysis didn't show anything different at the end of that oci, so I figured it was just a wast of $20.

No additives in the 3/22 to 9/22 Amsoil oci.

I save my old filter elements for occasions like this.

We've owned the vehicle for almost 4 yrs. Bought it w/130k miles. Unknown mx history. I immediately determined is was burning and leaking 2 oz/100 miles. I updated driverside valve cover with GMs new and improved one, replaced the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, changed the oil pump pickup o-ring, and added a catch can. The inside of the engine has got a fair amount of carbon on everything that wasn't removed or replaced.

The piston oil control rings were stuck. So while I was doing this mx and had the spark plugs out, I did a weekend long piston and combustion chamber soak by squirting Gunk brand Motor Medic into each cylinder and occasionally moving the crank back and forth.

The engine hasn't leaked since and now consumes only 1/2 qt/6k miles.

In the summer of 2020, I added an engine oil bypass filter setup (Amsoil EaBP90), increased the engine sump capacity from 6 qts to10.5 qts, removed the oem 195*f thermostat for a 180*f, installed a small engine oil cooler, and at the 3/22 oil change started running 0w-20 wt oil.

My theory is: because it's an all-aluminum engine it needs extra help dissipating the heat. Thus, the mods listed above.

old vs new valve cover. GM puts the pvc system in the ds valve cover. Their 1st design was bad so the came out with a new improved version and I guess the previous owner didn't get the memo?
old-new vc.JPG

Both are Fram Ultra XG10575 and came off of my 07 Yukon w/gasoline 6.2L w/180K miles

Top filter was installed 3/21 and removed 3/22. 6,400 miles on filter & oil, Kirkland 5w-30.

Bottom filter was installed 3/22 and removed 9/22. 6,235 miles on oil & filter, Amsoil ASM 0w-20.

Notice the carbon in the bottom of the top filter pleats and not in the bottom filter? and the different media color? I know the Ultra changed a while back.

What say you?View attachment 116333
Looks like the upper media has the oil drained out of it, while the lower media still has oil in it.

I drive the vehicle easy. We live in a rural area. >50% of the miles we put on it are hwy between our TX and CO homes. GM recommends and we run premium unleaded. For a yr or 2 after we bought it, I experimented w/87 and 89 unleaded. Gas mileage suffered and I got a knock warning a couple of times. The last couple of yrs I occasionally do a 25% mix with E85 and premium. No drop in mileage or warning.

IMO, this vehicle/engine is hard on oil. I believe the previous owner went by the oil life monitor and may have used less than premium synthetic oil.

The OLM at 6k miles reads 50% remaining. At 7.8k miles 35% remaining. At 10.2k miles 13% remaining. From what I've seen in the 6 uoa reports I've had done in 4 yrs and 50k miles, this vehicle, with a stock sump size (6 qts), should have a premium synthetic oil change no later than 6k miles, or at 50% remaining.

I don't think the looks of the captured debris in the media is going to change even if they both drain forever from this point out. From the photos of the insides of that engine, there is plenty of probablity of something coming loose and getting caught by the oil filter.

Speaking of draining forever ... what happened @OVERKILL to your every draining Ultra? 😂

I don't think the looks of the captured debris in the media is going to change even if they both drain forever from this point out. From the photos of the insides of that engine, there is plenty of probablity of something coming loose and getting caught by the oil filter.

Speaking of draining forever ... what happened @OVERKILL to your every draining Ultra? 😂
It's STILL GOING!!!!! I just changed the paper again on Wednesday.

Looks like a typical GM to me. I’ve been a few dozen rear main / oil pans and I’ve yet to see a clean one. All are varnished and “dirty” even with regular oil changes (basic blend oil and el cheapo filter)

I think GM has changed the OLM algorithm since 2007 when our vehicle was made, to about half or less of what our calculates. After 10k miles our still reads 13% remaining. At 6200 miles 50% remaining. If ours still had a stock 6 qt capacity bad things would be brewing in the pan again. PO probably trusted the OLM and WallyWorld o_O . If I had a TECH2 or took it to a handy tech I'm sure they could change it.

Immediately after we bought it I did the valve cover update, and a piston/combustion chamber soak, rear main seal, TSB 10-06-01-008M https://f01.justanswer.com/ebrock63...il+Consumption,+MIL+ON,+Engine+Runs+Rough.pdf

It was consumming 1-2 oz per 100 miles. Now uses 1/2 qt per 10k miles.

Its been 4+ yrs and 44k miles since cleaning things up. I may soon pull the pan and valve covers to see how things (varnish sludge) are developing. :ROFLMAO: .

Is that sludge in the pan? I think my 02 Yukon just set the OLM off every 5000 miles. No matter what. Maybe they should go back to that.

Back