2 stroke with no power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only had to have one carb cleaned in over 25 years. It was
the Tecumseh low speed jet on the snowblower. Common problem with them.
Likely my fault for using e10 gas. Stabil and Seafoam then and since.
Went to high octane gas since and between those three things no carb problems.
Also have good fuel filters on all equipment.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Nice Monte Carlo, is that a '76?

Thank you.
cheers3.gif

It's a 74, and it originally came with a 350 4 barrel and dual exhaust. My Father purchased it off a GM exec with 12,000 miles on it and it's been in the family ever since.

It's full Pro-Street now with a different 350 pushing around 400 H/P. Full cage, tub, fuel cell, etc.

Lots of nice pics but that doesn't change anything. I too have a great deal of experience with mechanical things. That's how I came to the conclusion that these elixirs are more of a mental panacea than anything else.

By the way, is that an Indy lite with the Fuji 340 engine? I had an '87 Polaris Sprint with the Fuji 340. What a great little engine that is. I really like the carbs on that thing with easy change main jets. Now that I no longer winter in the north, I gave that machine to my neighbour's kid who's still using it every winter. We've clocked it doing 60 mph on the lake. Amazing for something that old with such a small engine.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Lots of nice pics but that doesn't change anything. I too have a great deal of experience with mechanical things. That's how I came to the conclusion that these elixirs are more of a mental panacea than anything else.

By the way, is that an Indy lite with the Fuji 340 engine? I had an '87 Polaris Sprint with the Fuji 340. What a great little engine that is. I really like the carbs on that thing with easy change main jets. Now that I no longer winter in the north, I gave that machine to my neighbour's kid who's still using it every winter. We've clocked it doing 60 mph on the lake. Amazing for something that old with such a small engine.

The pics and info are to prove I am not just an armchair cheerleader but rather someone with experience that has also has tried different things over the years.
Not to be rude, but you say "These Elixirs", as in plural, quite often so I am wondering if you went into trying/testing Seafoam with an open mind or had you already pre concluded, based on your experiences with other elixirs, that this was just another one of those?

Believe what you will, your choice, but no one will tell me any different, based on my experiences, that Seafoam is nothing more than witches brew.
The stuff plain out works and imo, you should give it another try.

Yes, that's an Indy Lite 340, a 95 to be exact. That machine sat for years and only had 800 miles on it when I purchased it for $800. I put about $300 into it and my son rode it for 2 yrs before I ended up selling it for $1850. The Seafoam cleaned up those carbs nicely. I let them soak, like you, used a toothbrush and a tip cleaner and reassembled them. Once together, I ran more Seafoam through the tank and after a bit of rough running, the machine chromed right up and ran great for the next 2 years.

He now rides my 95 Indy XLT Sp, which is a Fuji triple 600.

It's that 600 I am referring to that I use to have to clean the carbs on annually. Since I have been using Seafoam, they haven't needed to be cleaned since.

If I were a mechanic trying to make a living, I may not tell people about it, but since I am not, I have no trouble sharing my personal experiences with it.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
As I said, I did drink the koolaid, including Seafoam. Bought quite a bit of it used it and after reading a lot of different opinions on it's effectiveness, tried a few experiments with it and concluded that it did virtually nothing for me. Stopped using it many years ago and can't say that I miss it. Clean fuel, proper maintenance and storage are all I use now.

Are those carbs off of the Indy Lite? They don't look like the carbs that were on the 340 I had. The carbs on the '87 Sprint had fuel inlet above the float bowl and had main jets that are accessible from the bottom of the float bowl. One of the strangest main jet arrangements I've seen. Made them real easy to change for altitude or maintenance. I think the '87 Sprint carbs were Mikuni VM30s.

Anyway, no need to flog this dead horse any longer. You do things your way, I'll do mine, my way. Either way, it's good to debate the pros and cons of products so that readers can make educated decision regarding the effectiveness of various products as reported by participants.

Best of the season to you and yours.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

Anyway, no need to flog this dead horse any longer. You do things your way, I'll do mine, my way. Either way, it's good to debate the pros and cons of products so that readers can make educated decision regarding the effectiveness of various products as reported by participants.

Best of the season to you and yours.

I agree.

Merry Christmas to you and your's as well.
cheers3.gif

Hi Guys
Don't post much, but really enjoy the Small Engines blog here. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but SeaFoam is excellent for de-carboning a 2 stroke outboard engine. Google 'outboat decarbon' and read a few of the posts. I use the 2 cans SeaFoam and 3 quarts gas + 3 oz 2 stroke oil. Lots of 'black tar' runs out of my Evinrude 115. Lots of info on that topic if you are interested.

Best Wishes!
Chad

lol I run my 2 strokes just rich enough that black tar or "splooge" as we call it runs out of the exhaust all of the time.

I use Lube Control LC20 on carboned up two stroke engines. Remove spark plug, pour in LC20, then turn over slowly through the piston stroke a couple times stopping at BDC. Pour in more LC20 and let sit at least over night, but a few days is better.

When finished soaking put a rag over plug hole and turn over vigorously to get as much of the LC20 out as possible. Take the machine outside and start, being prepared for a big smoke show!

Edit 4.3 in link: http://www.lcdinc.com/tests_dyson.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back