2 Stroke Fuel Ratios: Is 50:1 Good for All OPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to run my 2-stroke OPE at 40:1, but over the last few years i've been using Stihl Ultra at 50:1 with no issues. Haven't had a failure yet, but i'm not running vintage equipment or lawnboys either.

Last edited:
Testing consistently shows lower wear rates and more power with more oil, when using conventional oils. However, that does not seem to be a universal truth. Some unique oils are intolerable at high concentrations.

I use 32 to 1 in everything. And "jet" or "adjust" accordingly.

In a past life, I was involved in some engine and oil testing. We tested all the way to 8 to 1, with increased power each time we used more oil. Unfortunately, 8 to 1 was impossible to use, due to idle and low speed issues.

On our race engines, wear rates were increased at 50 to 1 and by the time we reached 100 to 1, wear rates were excessive and obvious. Even on "boutique" oils.

Generally speaking, the faster an engine turns, the more oil
is needed. DOH!
Lawn mowers turn about 3500 rpm, outboards can and do turn 5or 6000 rpm.
Chain saws, even more.

My old Lawn boy was specd for 32:1, once broken in, it ran great
on 40:1. I would never use 50:1 ratio.

My 2¢

I had bought into the Amsoil hype and tried the Dominator race oil in my sons 2 stroke race bikes at 50:1 But we do notice more engine life and slightly more power in the bikes with 32:1, which is what I stay with now, Still love the Amsoil Dominator oils but I can't run that little 65cc 2 stroke screaming at 12,000rpm on so little oil...

My 2 stroke OPE calls for 50:1 (newer stuff) but it all gets the same mix as the bike and runs great!

I run everything on 32:1 too. I just mod the carb limiters and screws to richen up ope. I also tend to run everything just a little bit rich to help with sustained WOT.

I mix E 10 reg with Valvoline universal at a strong 32:1. Haven't had an engine failure yet. Maybe a tad down in power, but I am going for longevity, not peak performance.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
I run everything on 32:1 motul 800 2t.

I find Motul 800 too smoky at that ratio.....1:50 suffice with a decent oil nowadays (API TD JASO FD....)

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Originally Posted By: jakewells
I run everything on 32:1 motul 800 2t.

I find Motul 800 too smoky at that ratio.....1:50 suffice with a decent oil nowadays (API TD JASO FD....)

Smoke is good! It is a 2T, its supposed to smoke and it smells oh so good!! I use Klotz beanoil when I can find it just for the smell
smile.gif

Home brew non ethanol fuel with Amsoil Saber between 100 and 80:1 and Amsoil octane booster in my Sthil. Seems to run better with this combo vs running Sthil Moto mix fuel.

All my ope is "new" calling for 50:1. I just make sure to use slightly less than one gallon when mixing up with Stihl Ultra.
So I guess I'm running at 48.73462 to 1 ratio ( or thereabouts).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back