2 cycle oil performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a case of oregon (formerly silver streak) 2 stroke oil from my small engine supplier. The oil states that it meets iso-l-egd and jaco fc performance levels. What does this mean? I have used this oil in everything from stihl chainsaws to echo trimmers. This stuff doesnt smoke and leaves very little carbon on the plugs. The engines also rev faster and have more power. I used to stick with equipment manufacturer oil(stihl, echo, lawnboy)because i thought it was the best, but that stuff always smoked and carboned up the plug after a short time. I wasnt sure about the oregon oil at first but i have used it for 3 years now and i am impressed with how clean burning this oil is. Is it possible that it is synthetic? I ran out of oil while mowing one day so i ran into wally world and grabbed a quart of havoline 2 cycle that had the same specs but that stuff smoked and just didnt get it. I use at least 3 gallons of 50:1 mixed gas a week in my trimmers.Multiply that by 30 weeks of use a year times 3 years and not even a clogged muffler screen yet. Anyone else use this oil?

Danzig; I mentioned that classification ISO EG-D, JASO FC and API TC in the "what is your favorite 2-stroke engine oil?" motorcycle section. The EG-D lubricants are not required to be as smoke free as an outboard TC-W3, but they are a far better lubricant in my opinion. It is said that it is very likely only synthetic 2-stroke engine oils have have much of a chance of passing the EG-D tests. I'm not sure if that synthetic comment included group IIIs or not.

"The EG-D lubricants are not required to be as smoke free as an outboard TC-W3"

Not true. ISO EGD oils must pass or exceed all the specs JASO FC oils do. This includes the difficult to pass JASO smoke test. TCW3 oils do not have to pass any smoke tests and the tcw3 cleanliness standards are slack compared to the JASO and ISO EGD standards. that said Its generally a bad idea to run a iso egd or jaso fc oil in a tcw3 motor and vice versa.

I can see why it would be un-advisable to run a TCW-3 in any other application than it was intended for. They sure look comparitively light to me, and maybe the TCW-3 should only be used in slow turning outboard boat engines that operate around 5500 RPM. I found that the EG-Ds smoke a little more when the engine is cold, but protect 13,000 RPM 80 and 125CC motocross engines while keeping their variable exhaust port thingies clean and operational.

"They sure look comparitively light to me,"
Thats because they have dilluants added to aid in pumpability with a oil injection system.

"I found that the EG-Ds smoke a little more when the engine is cold"
Outboard oils are notorius smokers. I should know as I own a canadian fishing lodge and I send 20 or more out every morning. The egd oil I use never smokes. Of course I also have the carbs tuned spot on for all my toys and OPE.

Blano,
Would in your opinion, the EG-Ds be ok for use in outboards in a pre-mix application even if a TC-W3 was specified by the engine builder? Have you or anyone else you know of modified an outboard's oil injection system to operate on the more viscous egds. Would there be any advantage in doing this from a lubrication standpoint?
You send out 20 boats every day? Would this statment apply to you?
I love the smell of 2-stroke oil smoke in the morning, smells like.............
1. I'm going to catch that 40 lb muskie today
2. One less day at the office
3. Just another day at the lake
4. All of the above

User, Unfortunantly I dont get to do much fishing myself. To busy with fixing motors and a myriad of other things. As far as using a iso egd oil in a outboard. I ran about 10 tanks of mobil mx2t mix through one of our outboards so far this season. Spark plugs are cleaner compared to standard tcw3 oils, but I cant comment on long term effects of its use. In most cases I would say it isnt a good idea, but in my lodges boats the motors have thermostats and are basicaly ran for 8 miles wide open and then shut down so they arent exposed to lots of idle time or trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back