2-cycle mix ratios

Around 32:1 91 or 93 octane in everything so I don't have to maintain more than 1 mixed gas tank. Sometimes it goes in my 4 strokes too if I'm out of straight gas or the mix is getting old, doesn't hurt any of my old stuff. One of my friends experimented with the 100:1 with an old dirt bike and it squeeked the piston in the cylinder, but that sounds more like it was running lean and overheated, but the mix was all he changed on it so who knows...

I really love 2 stroke oil as well. Almost to an unhealthy degree. I always wish I could use up more 2 stroke gas just so I can mix more up with some oils I haven't tried!

My newer Stihl trimmer requires 50:1 while my old weed eater brand blower is 40:1. I've been running 50:1 with Stihl oil in both. I figured the oil is way better than when the blower was new....plus I know someone else who switched to 50:1 in an ancient snowblower and the 1986 outboard we used to go fishing with...both ran great and spark plugs lasted longer.

Maybe for the sake of the blower I should go 40:1 in both or 45:1? I see a lot of people here are compromising at 40:1 or 32:1.

Originally Posted by CT8
I used to weed wack 3 acres on the side of the hill for a fire break for the house I usually planned on 3 hours per day . I found 32 to 1 gives more power than 40 or 50 to 1 and the exhaust stayed clean.

The increase in power is from the more added oil you mixed in (32:1) caused better ring seal. And the guys running 100:1 Amsoil losing power. 2 cycle oil is all about ring seal and engine protection.

I know at 40:1 in an old 3 wheeler, I never had fouled plugs. This was in a Kawasaki 1987 KXT 250 with the KX 250 motor in it. I stick with 50:1 in my trimmer and blower as both manufacturers recommend. I sleep better at night doing what the experts that built them told me to do.

slomo

I noticed that the Craftsman brand stuff they sell at Lowe's calls for 40:1 but everything else I've bought in the last ten years [all Stihl brand] calls for 50:1. Not sure what's up with that. Personally I use the premixed Tru-Fuel brand ethanol-free fuel and alternate between 40 and 50. Can't say if I notice ant difference between the two. I am using a quart of each per year, so it's not as if there is much data in my observations.

I'm in the same crowd as Warlord - my fascination with 2-cycle oil and the lubrication matrix is unhealthy. I have several hundred dollars worth of different oils in my garage and I mix my fuels a single tank at a time just so I can look at the plug and piston dome. It's a fun way to pass the time and thankfully repair parts are so cheap for these tiny engines that you can afford to screw up and not break the bank.

I did run my opti-2 mix at 100:1 and it seemed to performed exactly like the Amsoil mix did at 100:1. I know that measuring torque loss is one of the certification tests for TC-W3 lubes and I can see how that would be beneficial. They do a controlled cylinder temperature increase to see how the high heat affects the oil's ability to control piston expansion. I know it's not scientific but it sure is fun.

I use 50:1 Stihl synthetic in everything from my new Stihl stuff to my 40 year old LB.

I will say it looks like I run the weed eater at a much richer ratio though. Has some decent seepage at the muffler, but doesn't smoke at all.

Last edited:
I've been running 50:1 - 80:1 in my newer 2-stroke equipment, which includes a Stihl backpack blower and trimmer (both 4-Mix engines) and two Echo chainsaws.

In the Stihl 4-mixes I originally ran Stihl synthetic (bought to extended warranty) at 50:1 and now I run Amsoil Saber at 80:1. In the Echo chainsaws I've used Stihl synthetic 50:1, Echo powerblend 50:1 and in a pinch Amsoil Saber 80:1 if I only needed to make a couple cuts.

There was a time I maintained mixes of 16:1, 32:1, 40:1, because each piece of equipment required it. I now use 32:1 for everything. Equipment may have improved, but I still use old equipment. My chain saw even requires leaded gasoline!

Good riddance to 2-cycle lawn mowers. They were gas pigs.
MY D engine lawnboy (brick) would run 1 hour mowing burmuda on a 1 quart tank. My F engine holds more fuel, makes more power, runs an hour and a half on less than 2 quarts mowing burmada mix. The OHV Briggs I kept at the rental would only run about 45 minutes to an hour on its tank, and it is over 1 quart. Rental house like a boat, the 2 happiest days are when you buy it and when you sell it.

Too much money in my saw to risk that. Plus it makes more power at 40:1. More power is why i bought it.
Then don t run saber. Saber is designed to run at less ratios. My tiller, weed eater and blower attachments make plenty of power even in the Texas heat.

Why not? Does not smoke, runs great, spark plug clean. I'm happy with it.

I'm not running 80:1 in a $1000+ chainsaw.
Maybe you might be able to answer this question. Even at 80-100:1 the muffler on my sthil gets oily. Am I running too much oil or does the carb need to be adjusted. I get no smoke just oily on the plastic parts and muffler. The exhaust port is clear.

Maybe you might be able to answer this question. Even at 80-100:1 the muffler on my sthil gets oily. Am I running too much oil or does the carb need to be adjusted. I get no smoke just oily on the plastic parts and muffler. The exhaust port is clear.

Look at the spark plug, that will tell you if you are running rich. Rich will be a cooler EGT and perhaps not burn as clean. The sparkplug will tell you. Also check the screen in the muffler , make sure is not carbon-ed up. A lot of people neglect the air filter as well. Check both before adjusting the carb.

Back