2-cycle gas mixture with stabil turning dark

Status
Not open for further replies.
This April, I made up a gallon of gas for the 2-cycle weedeater using the cheap oil and used Stabil because 1 gallon can last me more than 1 year on the weedeater. Last weekend I noticed the gas in the tank turned dark. When I was using it, the engine cut out and I was able to restart it and I had no more problems after that. Has my gas with Stabil turned bad?

I will note that last year I didn't use Stabil and the gas turned dark and was unusable by the end of the season. I got rid of the gas but re-used the same gas can this year. Did that somehow contaminate this new gas?

I guess anything is possible with todays 10% ethanol gasolines. I might suggest you go to your local Stihl dealer and get one of their oils which already has a gas additive in it. They make small bottles for the one gallon mix. I've had no problems with doing this with my 2-cycle equipment.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I might suggest you go to your local Stihl dealer and get one of their oils which already has a gas additive in it.

Although if you ask Stihl, they will tell you to not use gasoline that's more than 90 days old, regardless of additive used.

This is true, but I've been known to break the rules. So for I have not had any bad experiences with fuel that is up to 10 months old doing this.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
So for I have not had any bad experiences with fuel that is up to 10 months old doing this.

Good to know. I've got some Stabil-treated gas/oil mix that's nearing 90 days - I'd rather keep on using it than dump it in my car's tank.

For my Stihl trimmer and hand held blower I mix in a one gallon can as I do not use much and it is easier to fill the small tanks out of the gallons can. For my mowers I either mix in a 2.5 or 5 gallon can as I use more of that..

I'm not sure they even make this gas can anymore as it was very expensive. I found some at wholesale a few years back and bought 10 of them. Best 2.5 gallon gas can I've ever used for filling a mower or something with a larger opening.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/graphics/smartfill-pict.gif

I must be lucky. My 2 cycle mixture's have been up to 2 years old without Stabil, and my weedeater still runs fine. Although I've got the fuel mixture tuned perfectly for our altitude here.

I now run Stabil in everything just in case. It definitely made my mower run better and cleared up a sloppy idle. Must eb the carb cleaner it has in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back