2-3 year old tires weathered cracking sidewalls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Hydroedges did this after 2 years/24,000 miles. It did not look very severe and I did not worry about it.

My Fierce Instinct ZRs had a substantial sidewall cracking.

21.gif
They survived a week of ice and single digit temps and the second longest consecutive streak of 100°+ days on record. I wasn't too worried about it.

This is normal for Michelin, lately...they crack and rot quickly. Someone I work with is still fighting with them after having to throw away $1000+ worth of tires on his A6. They were about three years old, and rotted so badly the car failed inspection. Michelin refuses to lift a finger, instead accusing him (and is emphatically WAS an accusation) of using "unapproved" tire dressing. (He did not.) In fact, his next step is probably small claims court.

His Audi now rides on Yokohamas.

Not discounting your friends experience, but it should be noted that I bought 4 sets this year for fleet trucks.

Granted we do not age them out a long time because we can wear them out in a year and a half, but they have never had that issue even when stored for years in an outside shed.

I have a similar problem with my michelin weatherwise tires. I have 2 vehicles, which are parked outside 24/7 and both get the same treatment. I have used 303 on the tires in both cars. The michelins on my van has cracks all over whereas the Dunlop on my accord is perfectly fine. The date of manufacture for both are around the same timeframe (~4 yrs)

In my somewhat limited experience, Michelin's light truck tires don't seem to exhibit the same level of sidewall cracking that their car tires do. I had Energy MXV4 S8 tires on my Camry and in less than a year, they had what I could call a moderate amount of light weather checking on the sidewalls. On the other hand, the Michelin Cross Terrains on our Acura are a full two years old now and have no cracking on the sidewalls at all. I had a set of LTX M/S tires on a Nissan truck that were many years old and they, too, exhibited no cracking.

In fact, I started a thread about this very observation in April 2011:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2223150

So far, I am have really good luck with the Hankook Optimo H727(2 yrs old) and the Pirelli P4(4 yrs old) and no sidewall cracking.

Our G/Y AssComfTrd's(4 yrs old) are cracking terrably!

One thing I think I will do this weekend is look at the tires sidewalls on the underside of the car and see if they are cracking as well. I guess that would decide whether or not tire dressing or sun is causing it.

I've been using tire shine that has anti-ozinant in it 3-4 times a year. not for the shine, for that chemical. Supposed to replenish the built in ozone protectant tires have. The protectant works it way out after a while (the brown stuff), thats when they crack. Is anti-ozinant snake oil? Am I wasting my time?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Not discounting your friends experience, but it should be noted that I bought 4 sets this year for fleet trucks.

Granted we do not age them out a long time because we can wear them out in a year and a half, but they have never had that issue even when stored for years in an outside shed.

Two people I work with are fighting Michelin over this...the other guy had a set of LTX-AT's rot out in about four years. Again, Michelin refused to lift a finger.

I would run four different brands of used Chinese tires before I ran Michelins.

Interesting. Our Michelins usually get replaced every 5-8 years. Never had any rot issues with them.

Always good to hear more experiences though.

I ran a set of Michelin touring tires for 11 years until they were done. They has mild rot as expected for that age. They were bought in 1999.

not as bad as my neighbors tiberon

he had 4 bridgestone's put on 4 years ago

2 years ago one blew out from road trash.

It was replaced with the cheapest tire available..

a PRIMEWELL.

well yesterday my neighbor who is slightly build was having trouble .. the wheel was corroded to the brake rotor.

So I went over to give him a hand.

His primewell just fell apart.. had a giant 5" long hole on the inside sidewall that just fell apart. It wasnt cut.. I'm guessing it just rotted out is what it looked like.

the 4 year old bridgestones still looked like new except half worn down.

ended up having to hit the wheel to rotor connection with some kroil. I tried using a 6ft long 2x4 and it wasnt budging at all.. after kicking the [censored] out of it didnt work either..
and beating on a board with a sledgehammer didnt work.

carefully sprayed the rotor "hat" where the wheel meets it..
waited 30set..

kicked it a few times and it fell off.

there was no oil on the actual braking surface and I quickly hosed it down with brake cleaner and wiped it off.

Just a note he was going to get a 99$ replacement but I told him to make sure he got name brand so he paid 18$ extra for a firestone champion HR. vs the 99$... primewell.

I told him when he gets another hundred to replace the other side so he has a matching axle pair and a spare.

Last edited:
I'm going to focus on one point:

Originally Posted By: Rand
His Primewell just fell apart.. had a giant 5" long hole on the inside sidewall that just fell apart. It wasnt cut.. I'm guessing it just rotted out is what it looked like.......

First, why was that particular tire comong off? Because of the sidewall issue?

If I had to guess, that sounds like the tire was run flat - that is, "road trash" again. I have never seen tire sidewalls "rot out" (in the sense that they lose integrity due to age), but I have seen tons of tires where the sidewall is destroyed when the tire goes flat.

the tire looked brand new on the outside and totally dry rotted crumbling rubber on the inside(sidewall). I went to grab the tire to break it loose off rotor and my hand went into the tire

luckily i had gloves on as the steel belts were sharp.

and before you say steel belts in sidewall.. dont ask me I didnt look at it that close. Just sharp pointy wirey steel poking me. im guessing it was the edge of the belt from the tread area but its just a guess.

I guess its possible it was abused but the other 3(bridgestones) didnt have anything special done to them and they are still fine and twice as old.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I have 10 year old tires (tiger paw) on my chevy S-10 and they're still in great shape. No cracking at all. Previous owner had two sets of tires (winter/summer) so they were stored for half of that time.

Not sure why yours would be cracking already.

I have tires older than that on my 1999 Alero (still has factory tires). I think it's because the car is garaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back