1st oil change on daughter's

$7K cash of her own money. It's what she wanted. She test drove so many cars I got sick of going with her. When she got on the highway with this, first thing she said was "I can see! I can switch lanes without killing us!" I said "Thanks."
Going through the same thing, great deal your daughter scored.

Going through the same thing, great deal your daughter scored.
Thank you. She saved up about 11-12K, didn't want to spend it all on any car, she said she knew she also would have to pay taxes, license fees, and this new responsibility known as car insurance, not to mention there might be unexpected repairs. There were many cars she drove that were newer and higher priced, but she had serious objections...such as the Buick Lacrosse has a "raked" stance and she wasn't comfortable backing out of a parking spot with it. She loved the leather interior, but was actually afraid of the car. As Clint Eastwood said "a man's got to know his limitations." I wish you well on your hunt.

Thank you. She saved up about 11-12K, didn't want to spend it all on any car, she said she knew she also would have to pay taxes, license fees, and this new responsibility known as car insurance, not to mention there might be unexpected repairs. There were many cars she drove that were newer and higher priced, but she had serious objections...such as the Buick Lacrosse has a "raked" stance and she wasn't comfortable backing out of a parking spot with it. She loved the leather interior, but was actually afraid of the car. As Clint Eastwood said "a man's got to know his limitations." I wish you well on your hunt.
Good for her. Saving her money and buying her own car. She also had the sense to know that she didn't have to spend all 11-12K to get nice ride. Now she has money for any unexpected maintenance or repairs that may crop up. My son bought his own first car as well. His first job was at Car Max and he was able to score a 100,000 mile 2006 Civic for just over $2500. This was pre pandemic of course.

Unicorn of a used car. My daughter recently purchased a 2004 Buick Century with 15K miles on it, one owner. ...

Anyhow, I just changed her oil today. I went bazooka with magnets. I installed a magnetic drain plug (very common), 2 Filtermags http://www.shopfiltermag.com/shop-filtermag-2/ and a magnet you drop inside the filter and throw away with the filter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254823507087?hash=item3b54aa248f:g:jJ4AAOSwv7xf7-8Y
No way! That's the outlet to the main gallery! I would never trust that to not move.

Good luck and hope you didnt pay a fortune for that car in this market.
and Yes many dealers are lying steeling stealers.

Our you sure they didnt just INSPECT fluids? The term SERVICE can be misleading

No way! That's the outlet to the main gallery! I would never trust that to not move.

Good luck and hope you didnt pay a fortune for that car in this market.
and Yes many dealers are lying steeling stealers.

Our you sure they didnt just INSPECT fluids? The term SERVICE can be misleading
I emailed the manufacturer voicing your concerns (in MY wording and language). This is their response:

Thank you so much for purchasing the oil filter magnets, they are the best investment you will ever make for your engine. (Kind of company propaganda, I guess their job is SALES).

When you have a minute please visit our real web site and review data and all the testing we have done over they years. The simple plan is make sure you place them on the outer steel wall (inside of course), about the middle (top to bottom) and that is it. I do put two in every filter, opposite each other, just to get the absolute maximum oil filtration protection.

www.OilFilterMagnets.com

We’ve been selling these for over 30 years and multi millions of them have been installed. The best part, for your assurance, we have not had one single claim for any kind of damage in all those sales. Actually, it was voted top product of the year by Motor Magazine in 2000, based on praising reports from technicians. It was quite an accolade for a product that had not yet been marketed to main stream retail.

Hope this is what you were looking for thank you again for your purchase, I look forward to being of assistance in the future. Don’t forget to add one of our Rare Earth NEO Magnetic Oil Drain Plug to your system, to catch the largest particles before they ever have a chance to start circulating.

www.OilDrainPlug.com

Unicorn of a used car. My daughter recently purchased a 2004 Buick Century with 15K miles on it, one owner. When we took it in for (State mandated) safety & emissions inspection, our (Indy neighborhood) mechanic whom we use regularly use put the vehicle on a lift and told us (he did not ask), he said this car has been stored in a HEATED garage. Probably never drove in bad weather. Brake lines have legible decals from assembly line on underside of car which mechanic says looks as good as a new vehicle. Smells new inside. Carfax report has 29 entries, dealer maintained. Oil changed 207 miles before our purchase.
Anyhow, I just changed her oil today. I went bazooka with magnets. I installed a magnetic drain plug (very common), 2 Filtermags http://www.shopfiltermag.com/shop-filtermag-2/ and a magnet you drop inside the filter and throw away with the filter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254823507087?hash=item3b54aa248f:g:jJ4AAOSwv7xf7-8Y Magnets, coupled with Amsoil SS oil and Amsoil Ea15k29 oil filter, how does it get any better for an oil change?
Anyone care to speculate what I'll find when I cut the filter apart in 9-12K miles? What else would you do to the car?
I also use a few rare earth magnets on the outside of my canister filters, transferred to new filter when serviced. I won't get into the story of how I know they work, I just know they work. Also, you say 9-12k miles on the filter and I assume that covers more than one oil change. What OCI are you and your daughter running? Very nice find, perfect car for a young driver.

I also use a few rare earth magnets on the outside of my canister filters, transferred to new filter when serviced. I won't get into the story of how I know they work, I just know they work. Also, you say 9-12k miles on the filter and I assume that covers more than one oil change. What OCI are you and your daughter running? Very nice find, perfect car for a young driver.
Thank you for your response and kind words. I have no idea what OCI we're going to do. I intend to send Horizon testing an oil sample at 7500 miles and we'll go from there. Most likely, after the 7500 mark, the lab will want another sample at the 1/2 interval (3750 miles), and at this point the oil will have ~11K on it, we'll see if the TBN and contamination are up to the task; although with only 18K on the engine, I don't expect "horrendous" contaminate metals.
We'll change her oil when the test lab or myself don't like the results. It will not be an arbitrary number like 99% of folks do. I am a one percenter, and will condemn the oil when there is something the lab or I don't like about it; low TBN, high silicon or potassium, ISO 4406 particle count, etc. Why would I dump 25K Signature Series Amsoil at 4-5K? The engine is NOT GDI...Change my mind?

Thank you for your response and kind words. I have no idea what OCI we're going to do. I intend to send Horizon testing an oil sample at 7500 miles and we'll go from there. Most likely, after the 7500 mark, the lab will want another sample at the 1/2 interval (3750 miles), and at this point the oil will have ~11K on it, we'll see if the TBN and contamination are up to the task; although with only 18K on the engine, I don't expect "horrendous" contaminate metals.
We'll change her oil when the test lab or myself don't like the results. It will not be an arbitrary number like 99% of folks do. I am a one percenter, and will condemn the oil when there is something the lab or I don't like about it; low TBN, high silicon or potassium, ISO 4406 particle count, etc. Why would I dump 25K Signature Series Amsoil at 4-5K? The engine is NOT GDI...Change my mind?
Your multiple-testing approach is a great way to arrive at a suitable service interval with this engine/oil combination. May be a little expensive but in the long-run you will make the money back through extended intervals. Also, many people believe an oil that "can" go 25k should be run 25k which is not always the case, testing is key and clearly you are aware of this. Will be curious to know what number you arrive at.

Your multiple-testing approach is a great way to arrive at a suitable service interval with this engine/oil combination. May be a little expensive but in the long-run you will make the money back through extended intervals. Also, many people believe an oil that "can" go 25k should be run 25k which is not always the case, testing is key and clearly you are aware of this. Will be curious to know what number you arrive at.
Regardless of anything else, this is one of the most intelligent comments I've seen on BITOG. THANK YOU. YOU OBVIOUSLY understand the importance of setting precedent and that is exactly my intention(s).
It's really not about money at all. Well, maybe it is somewhat. My own personal motivation is that this is my daughter's car and I love her and I'm willing to do anything in my power to help her car last. From HER perspective, she is paying me for the oil & filters and parts used, and I want to help her get the most bang for her buck.
I'm sure 99% of BITOGERS agree that I wouldn't dream of charging my daughter anything for my labor; it isn't "work" to me, it's an expression of affection; that may sometimes keeps me awake at night...I guess you could call it parenting and it never ends. Again, sir, thank you for your understanding and comments. :):);)(y)

PS. I'm also curious to see ~where we arrive at for an OCI.

nyhow, I just changed her oil today. I went bazooka with magnets. I installed a magnetic drain plug (very common), 2 Filtermags http://www.shopfiltermag.com/shop-filtermag-2/ and a magnet you drop inside the filter and throw away with the filter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/254823507087?hash=item3b54aa248f:g:jJ4AAOSwv7xf7-8Y Magnets, coupled with Amsoil SS oil and Amsoil Ea15k29 oil filter, how does it get any better for an oil change?
Anyone care to speculate what I'll find when I cut the filter apart in 9-12K miles? What else would you do to the car?
WHY ????

Just to be clear, you know there is no proof the magnets will help or do anything to reduce wear correct? It's a fun thing to play with but not some smoking gun.

JoelB said above, ".. you know there is no proof the magnets will help or do anything to reduce wear ...".

That may be but whenever I remove a transmission pan there's metal on the magnet.
Whenever I inspect the strong magnet I hung in the power steering reservoir there's metal on it.
The few times I've hacked open an oil filter (from the outside of which I've removed magnets) there's a pattern of metal to be seen.

I'll go out on a limb and assume that collected material wouldn't've done my machinery any good had it been left to circulate.

Caught and removed dirt yields a cleaner system. Cleaner is better than dirtier.

Back