1st Oil Change.....Break In Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the first at 1000 miles (QSUD) then the second at 5000 miles (PP) on our most recent purchase a 2018 Dodge Durango. Plan to do the third at 10,000 miles then possibly follow the OLM after that using QSUD or similar.

Additionally y'all: how many use the manufacturer's intervals for all the other fluids in your car ? That's pure marketing puffery as far as I am concerned: "Lifetime Lubrication" of suspensions and rear ends [where applicable],100,000 Mile/10 year Coolant" and "100,000/10 year Transmission Fluid" changes.

Yet we'll buy that for something as critical as engine oil ? No way.

Not under my stewardship.

And somehow we're supposed to take their word for it ? Like GM having to reduce the # of miles to change in their OLMs ... after engines were sludging up when following the programmed algorithms for example ?

Find an interval and routine one can live with and follow it religiously. The consistency of service is as important as the interval IMHO.

Originally Posted by Bighorn2500
I did the first at 1000 miles (QSUD) then the second at 5000 miles (PP) on our most recent purchase a 2018 Dodge Durango. Plan to do the third at 10,000 miles then possibly follow the OLM after that using QSUD or similar.

An excellent plan, Bighorn.

Like other posts state, the first oil change should be the most contaminated one an engine will ever have. It will have sand from the sand casting, and all sorts of metal particles from everything taking a set.

My family used to have a machine shop rebuilding mostly inboard marine gas engines. Lots of moly on the flat tappets valve tops rockers ect to prevent galling. If we installed and warrantied it, it was run for 30 minutes above 2k rpm varying the throttle then the oil and filter was changed. We used 30hd from 55 gallon drums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back