1st gen GTOs...

You old guys are so lucky to have had those neat cars. I just got done tuning a carb on a 50cc scooter, and it was so fun to dial it in just right. I wish I could afford a classic, but they are way beyond my financial means!

Pontiac Historic Services (PHS) is the best! After I bought my '66 GTO 30+ years ago, the first thing I did was request as-built info from PHS. Among the stuff I received was a copy of the original window sticker that shows exactly how the vehicle was equipped from the factory:

View attachment 170694
This verification is important especially on 64 and 65 GTO. Those years the GTO was an OPTION on the Tempest LeMans not a separate model as noted by the 242XX series beginning in 1966. Quite easy to fake a GTO in 64 and 65.

Fascinating to read about the rebel, maverick, wonderboy John DeLorean when he worked and later was the head of Pontiac. This option package was his method to get the GTO into production. Once the GM brass saw how well it sold, it became a model in 1966, not just an option. Too bad he didn't quit his rebellious tendencies when he went too far with DMC.

Last edited:
Reactions: hrv
My '66 GTO convertible was factory-equipped with Tri-Power 389 engine, automatic transmission, A/C, power windows, power brakes, and tilt steering wheel. Quite rare for a mid-sixties muscle car to be ordered that way.
My older cousin had the same, except in a bluish-green color, as best I can recall. I got to ride in it twice.

My dad bought a new 1964 black GTO if I remember correctly a 3 speed manual. From pictures it looked like a regular tempest with hubcaps. Traded it in for a 69 Z28 that he got rid of pretty quick he said it was a race car high strung machine

Back