1st gear syncro for manual transmission

I once had a WRX and know some people had a "dog box" transmission in them. The only worthwhile way I know of is to buy straight cut gears. Trying to eliminate it using the existing gears is a dumb mod.

First gear synchro also serves as second gear synchro. Driving a “crash box” manual ion the street isn’t going to be fun. You file every other “dog” off the synchro and blocking rings for similar effect. Gear clash.

Has anyone tried to just eliminate it? If so how did you do it?
My first car was a 64 Falcon with an unsynchronized 3 spd. It's no fun having to come to a complete stop anytime you have to shift down to 1st, I assure you. I promise, everyone behind you will absolutely hate you. Haha. Swapping to a synchronized 3 spd made it an entirely new car, and a pleasure to drive.

My first car was a 64 Falcon with an unsynchronized 3 spd. It's no fun having to come to a complete stop anytime you have to shift down to 1st, I assure you. I promise, everyone behind you will absolutely hate you. Haha. Swapping to a synchronized 3 spd made it an entirely new car, and a pleasure to drive.
I've driven a few non synchronized 1st gear transmissions. You can either try to do a rev match / double clutch into 1st and it might get lucky. Or what worked well enough for me was drag the clutch slightly and apply light pressure to the gear. It just pops in without grinding. With everything spinning at different speeds, eventually they'll all line up and be a close enough speed to pop into gear.

Old pickup 4-speeds didn't have synchro in 1st gear. With practice, they could be downshifted to first moving at slow speed. I don't see a need to eliminate 1st gear synchro in a transmission that has it.

Why would you? seems odd to want to.

You could try to pretty easily, just keep trying to jam it into 1st while moving too fast. Should round stuff off.
For these 2 reasons. 1 it is the problem child in these particular transmissions, the key slots get worn too quickly and then lock out the 1-2 shift collar.
2 there is no reason to have it, the down shift to first is what kills the syncro's in these. Either stop like you should at a sign then go to first or rpm match. When these syncro's go bad its mandatory to full stop to get the thing in first, that is if your lucky.

There is no reason to "double clutch" all you have to do is slip out of gear with no clutch and then clutch in the next shift, it does the same thing as double clutching with less wear and tear on the clutch system, also is the reason most big truckers float the gears.

Last edited:
Back