1999 Avalon - HM or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: k0nane
- M1 HM + Motorcraft filter ($29.44, Walmart or Amazon - looks like the FL-910S is the fit for the Avalon)

FL-400S is simply the larger version. It'll fit fine, and be easier to remove. I've gone to using the Fram XG3600, but as results show, the Motorcraft worked just fine for 7k miles.

With that said, remember though that oil is only a small piece of the large pie to consider when looking at having a reliable/durable daily-driver.

One more tip - knock sensors on these 1MZ engines are very finicky, and will pull a bunch of timing at the slightest suggestion of knock (especially running around the city in hot summer Alabama driving). 89 octane/mid-grade (at a minimum) helps significantly. If he hasn't already, run a strong dose of a good PEA-based fuel system cleaner (Gumout Regane, Chevron Techron, Redline SI-I, etc.).

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
If I was going to run any filter for more than one oil change it'd be the Fram Ultra, not the M1. I just like the Fram better. That being said I ran a Motorcraft FL910S to ~9,100 miles on my Lexus with no drama. I don't see any reason to run an extended drain filter unless you're going to use it for the long haul. I'd do whatever you're comfortable with, midtier filter for one OCI or an extended for multiple.

I'll be running the Fram ultra for 5K and then tossing them. I do it to get the best filtration possible. My warranty requires a new filter each oil change and no more than 5K miles per change, or at least that's what the matince schedule says. If you hit eBay you can get the Ultra at a cheaper price than you can get an OCOD at Walmart, $5.12 for my model.

This is one of the few cars that actually require a 3k OCI. The cheapest synthetic for 3k with the cheapest Wix-made filter.

You can probably do 5k with a top-tier ACEA A3/B4 or A5/B5 synthetic like PP 5w30.

My choice would be BC 0w30 with a 5k OCI

The 3.5L in your Inifiniti is known to be really hard on oil. I wouldn't stretch OCIs in it.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
The 3.5L in your Inifiniti is known to be really hard on oil. I wouldn't stretch OCIs in it.

I generally don't. This was a one-time case... I usually prefer to stick to 5-6k as noted in my sig. That's what I'll return to.

The Avalon owner is going for M1 HM + M1 filter at ~4k OCI, filter for 3x changes. Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back