1998 Ranger after 225,000 miles

Only members on this forum can appreciate my joy. Others just don't get it.

Pulled the intake and valve covers to replace gaskets and was surprised how clean the 4.0L OHV looks. Bought new in 98 and changed oil/filter approximately every 5,000 miles. Only used whatever synthetic 5w-30 was on sale and Motorcraft or Fram orange can filters.

Daughter has owned "Blue" for the past ten years as her daily driver, and I've done all the maintenance. Engine still runs strong. Changing fluids and filters on a regular schedule does make a difference.

lower.jpeg
valves 220k.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Being an Oregon truck I bet the body is just as clean. I love those old Rangers, best friend had a 2001 for about 10 years. All the ones here that are still on the road are rotted out. :(

Very nice. Ironically i also have a 98 ranger with around 225k that we owned since basically new. Except mine has the 3.0. Never looked under the valve covers though.

Being an Oregon truck I bet the body is just as clean. I love those old Rangers, best friend had a 2001 for about 10 years. All the ones here that are still on the road are rotted out. :(
Jeepman, you are correct about vehicles here in Oregon. Suspension/frame corrosion from road salt isn't a concern in most parts of the northwest. The Ranger is still looking good for its age.

I agree, the 4.0L OHV engine is a reliable workhorse. Not the fastest 0-60 times, but great low-RPM torque for a compact truck.

Back