1998 Nissan Frontier chatter/driveline issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 1998 Nissan Frontier XE 4x4 2.4L 5spd 175k miles

I'm at wits end... I've tried everything that I can think of and thrown parts left and right at this truck, and am stumped.

How it began (last Fall):

Loud thump at hard shift and vibration at speed led to the discovery of a disintegrated carrier bearing. Easy enough, right? Replaced the carrier bearing with minor issues (cussing) and all is well, or was it? Took the truck for a celebratory test drive only to discover that, after backing out of the driveway, the truck had developed a severe chatter. I mean a chatter so sever that it felt like the drivetrain wanted to tear itself from the body. All I could think of is "[censored]... there went the clutch." Having replaced ONE clutch, literally by myself, in my 20s... I decided that I had no desire to undergo that mess again.

I opted to take the truck to a local "reputable" shop to have it diagnosed and fixed so I wouldn't have to mess with it. Took it in (horrible experience... story for another day...) and they confirmed that it needed a cluth/pressure plate. Fast forward a few days and I pick the truck up. Back out of the parking spot and the chatter is still there... again, story for another day...

Side note, when I replaced the carrier bearing I somehow got the two piece axle out of alignment/balance. Reorienting the driveshaft lessened the chatter.

New clutch and pressure plate. Check!

Over the course of 5 or 6 months I've tried everything that I could attribute the "chatter" to:

Replaced a CV axle with a busted boot. Nada.
Replaced engine and transmission mounts. Nada.
Replaced driveshaft with one piece unit and new ujoints. Nada.

Now, for the chatter. It's only from a stop. (why I assumed clutch) If I'm generous with the RPMs and feather the clutch it's lessened. The drivetrain feels like it has slop i.e. cruising at 2000rpm stabbing the gas you can hear the metallic clank of slack being taken up/let out. If I don't rev match, subsequent shifts are rough...

Now for the weird part. I was overthinking the chatter in traffic the other day and randomly tried something... I engaged the transfer case (hubs not locked) and it seemed to lessen the violence of the chatter on takeoff. What?

The chatter almost "feels" like axle wrap... like wheel hop. The leafs are factory (2 leafs with an overload) and I don't know the history of the truck. Could weak springs cause the chatter? Maybe the pinion angle getting goofy?

Transfer case? Ugh.

Any ideas of what to check? How to check? Thanks in advance BITOG!!!

Check the bos holding the axle to the leaf springs. Many years ago had that happen on a car and it caused the same symptoms.

My jeep was noisy at random, clunk and clatter. Shut the car off and rolled the thing, quiet. So t case axles and output shaft were maybe ok. Threw the t case in neutral, put it in first and there it was. Input shaft. Try that and see if it's the tranny. One more thing to rule out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Boomer
Check the bos holding the axle to the leaf springs. Many years ago had that happen on a car and it caused the same symptoms.

Just went out and rechecked the u bolts... they're there and snug.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
U-joints? The engine isn't missing/stumbling is it?

The rear driveshaft was just built with new ujoints and I removed the front shaft to see if that made a difference, nada. The engine runs smooth as ever.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
My jeep was noisy at random, clunk and clatter. Shut the car off and rolled the thing, quiet. So t case axles and output shaft were maybe ok. Threw the t case in neutral, put it in first and there it was. Input shaft. Try that and see if it's the tranny. One more thing to rule out.

What do I need to try?

The transmission shifts smoothly into every gear, changed the fluid a few months ago (not sure how long it was in there) and it had the usual metal on the magnet, nothing significant.

I guess I could add that I suspect axle wrap because the leaf springs "look" weak... to me any way. The two main leafs aren't evenly sandwiched together and the top of the top leaf, where it is coated/oversprayed, has surface cracks like if you bend painted metal.

I'm just hesitant about blindly throwing another $300 into this thing.

A broken leaf spring should be easy to spot, just check each leaf carefully for breaks. A leaf will typically be broken all the way through when they break.

Putting it in 4wd changiing it makes me think a front hub, bearing or axle or driveline issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back