1998 Jeep cherokee Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Limited with 4.0 inline 6 motor with 140,000 miles. I got it recently and trying to swap all the fluids in it and just wondering what kind of motor oil would be best to use. I have no clue as to what kind of oil was run in the car before hand. I live about 1 mile from work and don't really drive the vehicle much outside of going to work. Longest drive besides a work commute would be about 20 mins, i will also be off roading the vehicle and its been off-roaded before. I live in PA as it is getting colder outside. also I do have some valve noise nothing major just am not sure if that's something to keep in mind as well or not. I also don't know if it makes sense using a synthetic or standard oil, or non detergent oil.

Thank you

you should first use the search function......We discuss this once a month.

All of my 4.0's have historically enjoyed a HDEO and for me its Rotella. PYB also works well in the 4.0.

Nice find! I looked all over for a Limited. I use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle oil in mine. It seems to be the quietest running oil in the 4.0s I take care of so far. I maintain 3 of them. 140k is nothing for that engine if it is taken care of.

Make sure the cooling system is in good working condition.

I have a 2001 Cherokee Sport with 203,000 on it of which about 50k is from me. I have tied several oils all Dino and the overall best is probably PYB 10w-30 but most any 10w-30 will be loved by your XJ. Walmart Super Tech and Super Tech HM are great too. I live in PA too and mine loves 10-30.

For the OP's description of the driving pattern, I'd use a good 5W-30, maybe Quaker State Defy or Pennzoil High Mileage for winter and cooler months. 10W-30 in summer. We're mostly only going a mile here. I'd try to extend the 20 min. drive to maybe 39 mins. once in a while...

Last edited:
Hello, Gotta chime in.
Sis' '99 Cherokee was a great vehicle. It had 171K when we sold it just 2 years ago during "Super Storm Sandy.
It liked the proscribed 5W-30 (is your '98 different?) and jug dino on sale is all it ever saw.
The engine under the valve cover was spotless when I did its gasket.
The only oil leak was at the sender unit-which I fixed.
I loved the fact that exactly one gallon of transmission fluid drained when you unscrewed the drain plug.
There was grit in her differentials when I changed the fluid at 150K.

I am told a known weak point is the head gasket. It will fail and start drinking coolant. Sis' didn't.
Good luck with yours. Kira

Originally Posted By: wsar10
you should first use the search function......We discuss this once a month.

All of my 4.0's have historically enjoyed a HDEO and for me its Rotella. PYB also works well in the 4.0.

Its also discussed here once a week that the search function DOESNT work well with this forum..

Excellent choice in oils BTW.
smile.gif

Thank you all for your help.

One last question though would anyone recommend using a synthetic blended oil? are there any advantages or disadvantages? I like synthetic oils i always use mobile one in our chevy cruze eco or my old mazdaspeed3. My first thought would be to switch the motor oil to mobile one full synthetic but i dont want to clean the oil passage ways out right? because that would or could cause the motor to start leaking?

Originally Posted By: 98xj4o

One last question though would anyone recommend using a synthetic blended oil?

Sure, that would be just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back