1998 HD Sportster 1200S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SWSportsman
Originally Posted By: boraticus
....those who disagree with reality...

Strange that the misinformed always have a distorted view of reality.

Is that the "misinformed" that believe "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES?" Or maybe the "misinformed" that believe they don't need no "stinking" helmets. Or the "misinformed" that think fringe leather protects against road rash? Or the "misinformed" that think Sturgis is motorcycle "nirvana?"

......Or the "misinformed" that think you have to buy a $25.000 motorcycle to ride in poker runs and parades?

OK, whatever you think.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zedhed

Is that the "misinformed" that believe "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES?" Or maybe the "misinformed" that believe they don't need no "stinking" helmets. Or the "misinformed" that think fringe leather protects against road rash? Or the "misinformed" that think Sturgis is motorcycle "nirvana?"

......Or the "misinformed" that think you have to buy a $25.000 motorcycle to ride in poker runs and parades?

Case in point! Thanks.

No, it's the "misinformed" that think they have to reply in every single Harley thread on the forum. It's obvious you and Borat detest Harleys and Harley riders. Why do you even open the threads? Seriously, you could just let them float on by.

Originally Posted By: FLHRGator

No, it's the "misinformed" that think they have to reply in every single Harley thread on the forum. It's obvious you and Borat detest Harleys and Harley riders. Why do you even open the threads? Seriously, you could just let them float on by.

I never said I detested Harleys. Wouldn't own one, but certainly don't detest them.

I never said I detested Harleys. Wouldn't own one, but certainly don't detest them.

The problem is you never DIDN'T say it, either. You and Zedhead can't let a Harly conversation get by you without bringing up Donut Boy, loud pipes, Sturgis, or (lack of) helmets. You (both) have a very odd way of discussing a bike that you supposedly don't detest.

I think along the same lines as you. Driven several HD's: Sporties and Baggers. I couldn't get over how gutless they were for all the mechanical whirring and bellowing they produce.
If I wanted a big air cooled V-Twin, it would be Victory or Yamaha Warrior. At least there's performance combined with their noise.

The problem is you never DIDN'T say it, either. You and Zedhead can't let a Harly conversation get by you without bringing up Donut Boy, loud pipes, Sturgis, or (lack of) helmets. You (both) have a very odd way of discussing a bike that you supposedly don't detest.

Everything you listed has nothing to do with the bike per se. Buy a Harley off the floor. None of the above comes with it.

I really kinda like Harleys, its some of the weird Harley riders that scare me away. I have a mental image of me acting like them and cold shivers set in.

If HD people would just quit saying, "you need to buy a 'real' motorcycle." Why do they say this? Surely, they know the irony of that statement?

I really kinda like Harleys, its some of the weird Harley riders that scare me away. I have a mental image of me acting like them and cold shivers set in.

If HD people would just quit saying, "you need to buy a 'real' motorcycle." Why do they say this? Surely, they know the irony of that statement?

I'm an HD person. I don't say it. I can't find any thread on this forum where a nice conversation about metric bikes is interrupted by someone saying "you need a 'real' motorcycle". I can find plenty of Harley threads that were instantly hijacked by a ridiculous anti-Harley flame.

I've not seen one thread by a person asking for an oil recommendation for a sport bike that was answered by a Harley rider with, "eh, it's a cheap plastic piece of [censored] [censored]. just put any old [censored] in it." I've seen plenty of responses like "it's a low-tech POS lawnmower that doesn't require anything special. just use any old [censored] in it." from metric riders in Harley threads.

I see a thread posted by you asking people's opinion for the "single greatest motorcycle". When HD finally came up on page 4 you had to make sure that was squashed.

I just don't understand why we can't discuss motorcycles and motorcycle oil. You keep saying your attitude is a reaction, but from where I sit, on this forum, at least, you're definitely the antagonist.

Last edited:
I don't recall reading any posts that recommended throwing any old junk oil into a Harley. As a matter of fact, most oil recommended by Zedhed and myself have been basically the same oils we use. Which in my case is HDEO, Shell Rotella T.

If we were to take the same view as you, we'd be offended by you suggesting that we're using inferior oils in our machines. Oils which are not good enough for your sacred Harley.

Honestly, you Harley folks have to come down from your thrones and realize you have a motorcycle that requires the same basic necessities as any other machine. There's no more need for super expensive or rare exotic lubricants in a Harley than any other machine. It's a tiresome read to watch you guys wringing your hands in worry over every little detail of absolutely no consequence.

I'm certain there are many Harley forums where you all can go to and obsess over which "eye of newt" oil to use in your Harley. You can expect some controversy when you participate in a forum with a vast experience base, where others have differing views.

This is not a Harley Davidson forum. Many of the participants here have a great deal of mechanical knowledge and are willing to share that experience with anyone looking for straight answers to lubrication questions. From what I've seen, many Harley guys participating here seem to be polishers and high end oil brand fanboys with apparently little actual mechanical knowledge. Not unlike most HD guys I know.

One would think that the reason inexperienced Harley owners come to this forum would be to get a different view than that being given on HD forums. It would appear however, that some HD owners participating in this forum don't like to see others providing opinions or advice that differs from theirs.

I'm an HD person. I don't say it. I can't find any thread on this forum where a nice conversation about metric bikes is interrupted by someone saying "you need a 'real' motorcycle". I can find plenty of Harley threads that were instantly hijacked by a ridiculous anti-Harley flame.

I've not seen one thread by a person asking for an oil recommendation for a sport bike that was answered by a Harley rider with, "eh, it's a cheap plastic piece of [censored] [censored]. just put any old [censored] in it." I've seen plenty of responses like "it's a low-tech POS lawnmower that doesn't require anything special. just use any old [censored] in it." from metric riders in Harley threads.

I see a thread posted by you asking people's opinion for the "single greatest motorcycle". When HD finally came up on page 4 you had to make sure that was squashed.

I just don't understand why we can't discuss motorcycles and motorcycle oil. You keep saying your attitude is a reaction, but from where I sit, on this forum, at least, you're definitely the antagonist.

You know....I can't really argue with what you are saying here except to say that all these threads are MOTORCYCLE threads, not Harley threads and Metric threads. If you want a category where metric riders can't comment ask the Mods to put one up. We all have experience with motorcycles that make us qualified to make comments about any motorcycles. I can't tell you how many HD engines I have had my hands in, but its alot. So, even though boraticus and I (and others) don't currently ride a Harley, it doesn't mean that that we aren't qualified to comment on matters of oil and mechanical matters.

I agree that we (metric riders) could stop with the negative comments, and I will make a conscious effort to do so. I challenge all the other metric riders who post here to try to not treat our American Iron co-riders with disdain.

In return, I'll only ask that the HD riders stop with the inflammatory comments like: "loud pipes save lives" stuff because those quickly devolve into locked threads.

Unless the search function on this site is weak (not an insult to BITOG, just a reality that not all forum search functions work well) I found 2 instances going back 10 years where someone said loud pipes save lives because they believe it. The rest of the 20 or so came from people making fun of people that believe it. That's hardly a trend of any sort. Why, just on the first page you can find 3 references Boraticus made about his idiotic neighbor on the HD.

I can't find any posts on this forum started by an HD rider for the sole purpose of poking fun of the sportbike culture. You, yourself, Zedhead, decided to start 2 about the same guy with the ridiculous apehangers.

Let's look at the first page some more...

1. This thread was obviously about HD and lo and behold Boraticus pulls out Donut Boy on page 1.

2. Then we have an HD rider asking about amsoil 75W140 and Zed starts with what (I guess) can pass for ribbing for wanting to use it in a Harley, but then Borat comes in and Donut Boy makes another appearance and the thread goes south.

3. Then a ZX14 rider asks about M1 or Amsoil and wouldn't you know it Donut Boy is brought up again.

4. Finally, Zed starts a survey to see who rides what to try and squelch brand wars...which as one person in that thread pointed out would end if he didn't start them...to which Boraticus took offense. Seems like a well-founded theory to me.

Please notice that no HD rider came into a thread started by a metric rider and yelled, "LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES".

Okay guys. Let's cool it.

Here is a search for FLHRGator on his Loud pipes save life search. 185 hits. (Using google for your searches is the ONLY way to go. Works every time
cheers3.gif
)

Let's stop with the bashing. All bikes ("metric", HD and others) have their place and here is NOT the place to bash each others CHOICE of ride.

Lets talk about oil for the SUBJECT line and that is it.

Thanks in advance. Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back