1998 Grand Cherokee Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in to replace the driver's side regulator and found that it seemed to work fine. The glass itself became detached from the part that looks like it's permanently attached to the glass (that attaches to the regulator). It that just glued on? No place for bolts to fasten it directly or to make the metal piece "squeeze" the glass. Any ideas? Too see what part I'm talking about, see the picture at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-1993-1998-Jeep-Grand-Cherokee-Passenger-Side-Right-Front-Door-Window-Glass-/181579336690?fits=Year%3A1998|Model%3AGrand+Cherokee&hash=item2a46f8cbf2:g:1EEAAOSwmUdUXBos&vxp=mtr

It looks like it's glued on. Any idea what kind of glue? THANKS!

An auto repair glass shop should have the same glue you need. We ran into a similar issue on my girlfriend's sister's Pontiac.

Are you able to reuse your old brackets?

Those two brackets used to be avalable from the dealer, and came pre-loaded with the thick adhesive that would latch onto the glass like a giant squid on a whale as soon as you pushed the bracket on (hint: get it in the right place the first time or you're hosed).

We had a '93 Vision TSi that used similar (if not exactly the same) brackets, and a flaw in its first design iteration was that the metal brackets would corrode and crack, leaving part stuck to the glass and part stuck to the regulator but the regulator no longer attached to the class. They came out with a beefed-up bracket, but that only meant that I got good at getting the old broken brackets off without breaking the glass and installing the new ones on all 4 windows over the course of the car's life.

If your glass has the brackets already gone, then the hardest part is done. Assuming you can still source the brackets from Mopar parts.

Just got back from the auto glass place down the street. The guy handed me the last 1/4 of a tube of the stuff they use. I remember now why I treat local business people so well when they come to see me for something simple. Thanks for the suggestions.

be ready to buy more. After my drivers window did the same as yours, the rest began to follow every couple of weeks. After the repair with cleaning the surfaces and applying new glue, I didn't have any more problems. It's a generally straightforward and rewarding fix. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back