1997 T100 4x4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hi,

Looking for feedback on this truck. Found a very clean (especially for MN) 97, with only 130k on it.

The 3.4 didn't have the head gasket issues of the 3.0, correct? Anything else I should be aware of?

Without stating the price, what would you consider fair for the truck - extended cab, 4x4, 130k. Tires near new. New rotors, pads, exhaust. That is all I currently know.

Thanks.

FIL had one but it rusted very easily. Reliable and good truck but he replaced it with an f150 and was happier with performance and hauling capability (pallets of 55gal drums).

For a reliabe vehicle, it's great. But beware of rust.

3.4 did not have the head gasket issue, unless if very early. Probably not an issue. Is a timing belt motor, I forget exactly but probably 90k--last belt change is usually noted on the timing belt cover.

Automatic is know to be sturdy, but it should get fluid changes every 30k or some such. Watch for failed radiators, as at least the 4Runners would mix ATF and coolant--good way to kill the Trans.

Not a powerhouse by today's standards, more so with an auto, but pretty rugged. Rust is the biggest drawback.

Price, I dunno, I probably wouldn't go over 3k, if mint. Not worth more to me. Have not kept up with the pricing on these.

Anything I tow is going to be under 2k. I am going to guess it has a 5k rating, much like the 4runner of that era.

Kind of different there's no phone number listed in the ad. Has he replied back to you about it yet?

Yeah, thru email. More people tend to do this on CL.. I sure wouldn't want the hassle of answering every yahoo's call. Anyone who uses CL knows the drill. 'duh, I'll offer you 60% of what you're asking'.

Have to look at it. They rust from the bottom up. Well, most anything does, but, point being, it's underneath that counts.

Photo looked good though. It may have been well maintained. I'd get a feel for if he kept receipts and had it maintained according to the book (or not) via email first. The asking price IMO is high, but if it was done by the book, no rust...

Originally Posted By: supton
Have to look at it. They rust from the bottom up. Well, most anything does, but, point being, it's underneath that counts.

Photo looked good though. It may have been well maintained. I'd get a feel for if he kept receipts and had it maintained according to the book (or not) via email first. The asking price IMO is high, but if it was done by the book, no rust...

I have seen some of the frame recall candidates around here. Nothing left of the frame, control arms, leaf springs but the body looked like it just left the factory.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Kind of different there's no phone number listed in the ad. Has he replied back to you about it yet?

I never put my phone number in my CL ads. I always use the email to filter out if it is a buyer I want to deal with.

KBB was at around 6500.00. Obviously, I don't know anything about the frame.

One thing that needs to be realized about the asking price is the ability to find a clean T100 in MN. Virtually impossible.

Hypothetically, at 5k, knowing it has WELL over 100k left in it, the ROI isn't bad. Again, assuming it is not rotten underneath.

I've been driving a 98 T100 5 speed excab 4x4 since March. It is amazing. I love that it is smaller than full size yet way bigger than compacts. 233k on it now and it does not show it. The ride is so nice and quiet.

The 3.4 5vzfe engine has godlike reliability. Many people have seen 300 and 400 k miles and still use them everyday. I usually get 18 or 19 mpg in mixed driving and low 20s pure highway. It's not fast but it can go. 2000 lb payload is unmatched by most other trucks.

If you can find one without rust and it runs good you should just buy it. Clean rust free T100s are too rare these days to shop around and haggle prices on. IMO the T100 is the king of cheap trucks for regular light duty use.

They are a low production number truck so avoid anything that needs a lot of interior parts replaced. You will have a hard time finding them.

Originally Posted By: dareo
IMO the T100 is the king of cheap trucks for regular light duty use.

A T100 in good condition isn't likely to be cheap. The only cheap ones have primer spots all over, chrome trim on every edge, paint splatter all over the bed, a broken window, stick on fender vents, and some sort of oversized windshield banner.

Allow me to revise "cheap trucks" to read trucks in the 3-6k range, not like a 2-5 year old trucks costing 3-4x as much.

I also consider them so cheap since they really last a long time. You can get a lot of years out of a quality example.

Good luck finding a good one though. Only two reasons people sell them, #1 needing a 4 door truck, #2 needing to tow more than 5k.

I found mine for under 4k with a great interior, and other than some dents on passenger side, a good rust free body. I have seen dozens of rusted out ones though.

Last edited:
Just got my worst tank yet in my T100. 16.5 mpg. All city, short trips with a full box. We moved our entire bookstore with it. Each load as much as we could cram in it. It didn't sag down or complain one bit. 234k miles now and still exceeding my expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back